Thursday, November 17, 2016

Band Review: Tracy Bone


Tracy Bone is country and I don't mind.

I attribute this at least partially to her being Canadian, which may give her version of country a different (and better) flavor. Also, though, even when a genre isn't your favorite, often someone who does it well stands out more, and you can like and appreciate them more.

Her country of origin may also make her First Nations heritage come through differently. I found references to her tribal background much more difficult to find, and the abuse through the residential schools - which Canadians seem to have dealt with more openly - are more prominent in her work, especially on "Woman of Red".

Favorite tracks for me include "Lonely With You" and "The Air I Breathe". She infuses them with a freshness and sweetness that is found in many of the songs, coming from her voice and delivery. There is also often an element of fun, like on "Do It For Me".

Although I do not remember seeing Tracy Bone featured in For the Generations, she has toured with the Women of the Four Winds tour.




No comments: