Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Dressing up: Halloween edition


If you have been following along, there were four components to dressing up. One was going bare-legged more. I may take a break on that one for a few months, but it was the easiest to do.

Next up was trying cosplay. I did that at Comic-Con and it was fine. That brings us to Halloween.

Because the point of this is reconciling with my appearance - as I am - I had been leaning toward Ursula from The Little Mermaid. She is full-figured and still owns her sexuality. She may be evil, but her self-esteem is strong. There were Ursula costumes available, but the tentacles seem to drive the price up. In a way very similar to Comic-Con, the date started sneaking up on me where I would have to do something soon or miss it.

One of the first things I realized is that a big part of my not dressing up for years is the dread of trying to find something my size. Everything is standard, and standard is smaller than me. Still, the internet has made shopping easier. I searched on plus size Halloween costumes and started finding some options, including options for me.

I am very grateful for halloweencostumes.com. Suddenly there were many options, and they weren't even all sexy. There were multiple choices available, with some out of stock and some much more expensive than I could justify. The best option ended up being Snow White. From new Disney villain to original Disney princess? I hadn't been a princess since fourth grade. But somehow there I was ordering it.

Even though they had extended sizing (as opposed to only regular and extra large), so it was reasonable to believe it would fit, I was still scared. I have gotten so used to feeling like a freak and a monster that I had to have a backup plan, where if it didn't fit I was just going to wear all black and the witch hat I have from a few years ago. It fit. I could be a Disney princess.

I had wanted to wear it somewhere to really make it count for growth and achievement, and there just wasn't anywhere to go. I had been thinking karaoke, but before Halloween I had been invited to another karaoke thing, so really, all I did was hand out candy. There were two things about that.

First of all, the younger kids seem to enjoy having the door answered by someone in costume. I don't remember it happening when I was young, so I wasn't expecting that. But anyway, okay, dressing up can involve thinking of the children.

The other thing was that I did still feel like I needed to do something more with it. Make the most of it. I'm trying to heal years of self-doubt here. I figured out what to do, and that will go up tomorrow.

That just leaves dressing up nicely sometime over the holiday season. That can involve using clothing I already own, which will be very helpful. It will need to involve going out though.

At some point I will figure that out, and it will be a blog post. With photos!


Related posts:

No comments: