Monday, May 19, 2008

Poetry Corner – 330.5

I returned to the States safely, but sickly. I feel pretty gross right now, and mainly just want to lie low until it all goes away, but thought I would make a short post to immortalize my poem.

I bought my coworker Jill and sister Julie word-of-the-day calendars for Christmas, and by complete coincidence another coworker has the same one. When I visit Jill’s cubicle, we have built up a tradition of me glancing at the word of the day and using it in a sentence that somehow relates to the conversation, even if it is pretty thin.

Recently she told me there was one I was going to love, but it turned out to be one day further out than she had realized. I did use it in a sentence, but she said that did not get me off the hook because it was too early. I took that as a challenge to go all out, and that would mean using all different forms of the word, and maybe making it rhyme.

On the appropriate day, I tapped out my poem. It is not great poetry, and it is low concept enough that it is not worth improving, but it gets the job done and cleverly ties in some inside jokes about an unsatisfying job interview and Rosetta Stone. (You’ll just have to trust me.)

I actually did do a second draft that day, after realizing I had left out vituperative.

Ode to the word of the day, or Jill’s poem

Without excuse you came in late,
Then giggled, filling me with hate.
You are not hired at this date.
Be glad I don’t vituperate.

For when you sit annoying us
It makes us feel vituperous.

I can’t but think, since you are grating,
‘Tis time to start vituperating.

When our thirst for blood is sated
You will have been vituperated.

Wrath might be my language native
When I feel vituperative.
You’ll still be crying hours later
For you have crossed the Vituperator.

I really do want to edit it, but I won’t. Anyway, when I reentered my office this morning, there were old word sheets taped to everything. Vituperate was on my keyboard. I have recycled the others (sacrosanct was on my recycle bin; am I too preachy about that?), but I am keeping vituperate. It inspired me.

No comments: