Sunday, November 09, 2008

Notes on an election – 316.5

I know I am in the middle of a series here, but history has happened and I am thinking about this more at the moment, so here we go.

Overall I am very pleased with the results. I really had doubts that Obama would be able to pull it off, and I was expecting a real nail-biter of a night. And yet, there it was, so early, and so much more emotional that I was expecting. There faces of the crowd, there in Chicago and the local audiences they showed were great, and it really felt like a cause for celebration.

It does take me back though, to 1988. Naturally I supported Dukakis, but I remember my friend Patrice kind of wishing he wasn’t running, because she liked him and her prediction was that the next president would inherit a mess, only survive a term, and then the next person in would have a successful presidency. This ended up being pretty accurate, coming true with the first Bush and Clinton. Obama is getting a much worse situation than George H.W. Bush did. We all know it, which may help, and I think Obama will use better policy in his efforts, but I do feel some sympathy there.

I am impressed with the Democratic sweep. Certainly in Oregon, where we are down to one Republican representative and no senators, and no Republicans holding key state positions, it is impressive. It may not necessarily be good, and I do understand the risk of a filibuster-proof Senate. However, I think it would be much worse to have a majority of bitter Republicans blocking things out of spite. In addition, the tendency has been for Democrats to be more centrist and moderate, certainly Obama is, and I hope that this will be an opportunity for moderate Republicans to step forward again. If this election can be viewed as a rejection of Neocons and divisive Rovian tactics, good. Yes, those tactics were used, and I can’t believe the amount of people who still think that Obama is a terrorist, or is not eligible to be president by birth, or who think he disrespects the flag, but again, the smear tactics ultimately failed.

I know a lot of people are disappointed in the passing of Proposition 8 in California, but I see something encouraging in it in that while there is a strong majority who voted for it, there is an even stronger majority who voted for Obama for president. If we can get out of the pattern of voters thinking that moral issues are the only criteria for candidate selection, good.

For our own ballot measures, I was pretty happy. I was worried about Measure 64 for a while, and they are still counting, but it looks like it has pulled ahead, and honestly, even if that passes there are legal challenges that can be made. I am thrilled that the double majority was repealed. There was a letter in the Oregonian about how the double majority is the only fair way, because how can something pass if only 26% (say 51% of the 60% who actually vote) of the people support it?

If only 26% of the people were asked, or hey, if only 60% were asked, that would be unfair, but why should the vote of the apathetic count more? The double majority encourages people not to vote if there is a tax measure that they don’t support but appears to have broad support. And exactly how much easier does it need to be to vote? They send you the ballots and the guide two weeks in advance!

There were also a couple of letters ridiculing the indecisiveness of voters and editors who were against the crime measures but for local bond measures. Well, I’ll tell you what, with the crime measures, we don’t know that the sentences will be effective, or necessarily even fair, but we do know that they will cost a lot and that it needs to come out of the already stressed budget, possibly without a real benefit. With the bond measures, there is a plan for paying, an estimate of the impact per homeowner, and a clear set of benefits. Nope, no difference there.

Finally, of course I was disappointed with the election of Matt Wingard, and with what it bodes for his political future. However, two years, and I think I will be volunteering with his opponent’s campaign. Could make the 20-year reunion awkward, but I don’t care. More has come out about additional child abuse, and I suspect there is a lot more out there. It was interesting that at one point I was thinking that I can’t be the only one who is mad about the way he got in, and I found a web site, http://blueoregon.com/, where not only were there people talking about it, but people who know a lot, and can go back and give you six similar situations with there results, and who work phone banks. This is good stuff to know.

Honestly, there were so many gifts this election that it would be ungrateful to get too hung up on one Oregon House member, even if he is evil.

So, I hope none of that sounds like gloating. I am happy about a lot of things, but I’m not feeling scornful towards anyone who voted for McCain. I may think the people stockpiling guns are ridiculous, but at least one part of the retail market is strong.

No comments: