Thursday, July 07, 2011

My Thanksgiving

At one point, I really thought three to five of us were going to be doing the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. It's an activity that I could earn Regence Rewards points for, and seeing that, I was just kind of intrigued. Maybe we could be the kind of family that does physical activities on holidays.

I discussed it with Julie and Maria, but we did not get very far because at one point it looked like Mom might be in the hospital. That ended up not being the case, with her surgery happening a month later, but it was still good that we did not sign up for the walk. Mom was doing home visits for the golden retriever, and as she went for her first visit, her car would not start. The alarm had gone out, and it was one of those alarms that instead of making loud noises, just keeps the car from starting. Julie and Maria needed to shuttle her back and forth, and it would have been a real pain. The three of us did go take a walk at the Nature Park, and the repair ended up being relatively painless the next day, so all was well that ended well. Will we trot this year, or simply walk in a nearby location where there are no lines or entry fees, but also no Regence points? We shall see.

There were a few things that struck me about the holiday, so that was what I really wanted to write about.

One is that some people are against Thanksgiving because of Indian genocide. That was not going to be me anyway. I mean, I don't even hate Columbus. Regardless of the Native American/Immigrant American issues, I still think Thanksgiving can and should be a wonderful holiday. First of all, relations did deteriorate later, but at that time they were good, and these moments of harmony are precious things. Also, it was a Native American tradition to celebrate gratitude then, so really, it is honoring them to carry on the tradition.

Finally, it is simply a beautiful thing to celebrate gratitude. It is important for increasing personal happiness and humility, and so it is something that makes the world a better place. Some will say that is actually more of a reason to not have a Thanksgiving, because it should be something you do daily, and it absolutely is, but that extra day still helps. It is good for the people who don't think of it regularly to have a reason to think of it, and it is good for those who try and incorporate it all the time to have company, and additional time to focus.

I know for me, Thanksgiving is the most peaceful and least commercial holiday. I know with store ads and football it is not peaceful and non-materialistic for everyone, and I totally admit that the last hour before we eat is really hectic, but mostly it is a peaceful, relaxing, family day that inspires good behavior as I reflect on my blessings.

I suppose it is because I care so much about the Giving Thanks part that the second thought bugs me so much, but I hate the term "Turkey Day". I suppose it is the equivalent to using X-mas instead of Christmas, but at least the X is a symbol of Christ. Well, no, actually I never really use it anyway. I just remember the day before Thanksgiving thinking how "Turkey Day" trivializes such a wonderful holiday, and realizing that the person I was about to see would say it, and she did, twice, in the first few minutes. Sigh.

I will keep my Thanksgiving.

Alma 9 – 11
29213 steps (I did my Terwilliger/Sam Jackson walk today)

No comments: