Friday, March 01, 2013

Band Review: Our Fold


Our Fold self-describes as a four piece Indie/Rock band from Bolton (England). They are not indie rock in the same manner as some of the other bands I have reviewed, in that they are not overly techno and do in fact rock. So, I appreciate that about them, right off the bat.

Again, this is a band that came to my attention because they followed me on Twitter. Based on the timeline of when they followed me, I should still not be reviewing them for a few weeks, but they did this thing where you could sign up to get a download of their entire catalog, and that kind of moved them ahead of many others. Yes, it does give me something to work with, but also I have really been enjoying them.

Influences listed are Nirvana, James, Stone Roses, Echo & the Bunnymen, U2, Sonic Youth, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Metallica & More. That’s quite a list, and while those aren’t necessarily whom I hear when I am listening, the range makes sense. It’s not that Our Fold does not have their own sound – they do —but they encompass a lot of variety within that range.

The verses in “Back in Check” remind me of Johnny Cash, while they hearken back to traditional minstrelsy on “King of Howfen”. I would definitely describe them as guitar-driven, but they make effective use of other instruments as well, including really creative and fascinating percussion. Sometimes there is more cowbell, but then there may be castanets or something else non-traditional that completely works within the song. “Victim of Lies” may be the best example of this.

The guitars groove hard. Sometimes it seems more like jangle (I think that’s the right term), and sometimes it leans more towards hard rock. I can totally believe that they were influenced by Metallica, even though that had not occurred to me on first listen. Personally, the first other band I thought of was The Cult, followed by The Clash, and maybe a little bit of The Replacements. Eclectic? Yes, but I just have to give them that much credit for having such a clear identity, and being so much themselves.

Some of this may be their emotional openness. There is a lot of heart in their songs. Sometimes they are plaintive and pleading, but always there is feeling. And that’s not to say that I love all of their songs. Some of them don’t sit as well with me. Those tracks seem to be a little more hippie-ish, which is ultimately a matter of my taste, but what I think when listening is that they are experimenting. They are being inventive, and risk-taking, and they come up with a lot of good results.

For personal favorites I need to call out “Victim of Lies”, “She Goes On”, “Reap What You So”, and “Descension”. Check out these for sure, and then keep going.

I’m including several links below. I think the Soundcloud one is the most useful for listening. I could not find that they were currently available on Amazon or iTunes, and they are definitely not on Spotify. From the Facebook page you can find a list of upcoming performances, and a phone number for bookings. Obviously, they are not as far along as they could be, but I hope they get there. They have a lot to offer.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Spot on that. It's fantastic you take the time to do this. Our fold have been my favourite 'new band' for a while now.

sporktastic said...

Thanks Paul. I've been enjoying doing the music reviews in general, but it's best with a good band, and Our Fold has been a real find.