Thursday, November 21, 2013

Band Review: All The Apparatus


I first became aware of All The Apparatus through their Kickstarter:
I can't remember who forwarded it to me, but it was probably Josh. Anyway, without knowing much about them, it was an interesting idea, and so I did kick in some. That is why, along with the CDs, I got the thank you note that made me tear up. It says...
"Gina, We are so grateful for your donation. We played to new crowds across the country and you made it possible! Love, All The Apparatus"
My overall role was pretty small, actually, but I appreciate that they appreciate it, and it does give me a sense of investment, and then I had their music available anyway, so why not review them in this special giving and crowdsourcing week?
I will say that there are probably ways in which they could have a more effective online presence. Their self-titled album is on Spotify, which can be helpful, but there are three potential Twitter accounts, and I think they are all legitimate. There is a main web site, and a Facebook page that are a little more informative, though I don't think either has a complete listing of events, as I thought I saw that they were playing Pirate Fest somewhere else, and I cannot confirm it via either site.
My first impression was that they remind me a little of the Polyphonic Spree. Some of that is the larger size of the ensemble, and a wider range of instruments. They would not necessarily be included in the list of old-timey bands (http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/9/Mumford-Sons-Tom-Waits-and-the-Punch-Brothers-ranking-the-old-timey-bands) but there are some similarities.
In addition, there is that mix of whimsy and exuberance, where album art may involve giant robotic cats, sea creatures, and Portland landmarks, but where it will also veer into darker territory. Often the darker songs are kind of light as well, but personally I have a really bad reaction to "Hat Trick", though that may be largely related to the memories it triggers of things I have read.
"Hat Trick" aside, most of it is very easy to listen to. "The Wolf Song" and "The Aeronaut" are especially lovely, and I like the Portlandian spirit of "Let's Go Ride Bikes". "Pancho Villa" is pretty funky, and then a lot of it feels more aligned with folk.
They very much have their own thing going on, and that is great. They could probably be more efficient in terms of promotion, but if that's not a priority, that works too.
Music is available via their main web site and iTunes.

No comments: