Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Every voice


When things that seem important work on multiple levels or in multiple directions, that resonates with me. It seems hopeful that correcting in one way will fix multiple things. I guess you could call it synergy, but just now I was thinking that maybe life is fractal.

One thing that has been pointed out lately is that we don't seem to believe people with a problem until someone not affected weighs in. People are more likely to accept stories of sexual harassment in the comics world when a male confirms it, beyond the word of those hysterical females. We pay attention when someone who does not have to live on food stamps tries to survive on that budget, though their experience will not take into account factors like food deserts and the sheer exhaustion of living in poverty.

Because I had also been thinking about the issues of minority representation in media and entertainment, my thoughts were working along the lines of how we really need to hear from everyone; every voice needs to speak and be heard.

The posts for December 30th through January 1st kind of went that way, where the problem looked different depending on which side of it you were on, but seemed to require the same solution, which was more speaking up. I mention that mainly because the first post, on authenticity, works as a companion to this week's writing about honesty. We need to get things out for our own sake, but it is necessary for society too.

The other theme I keep coming back to is the need for creativity, to where I was starting to put them together in my head. That kind of works - you can talk about creative self-expression - but they are still not automatically synonymous.

I can have a conversation with a friend where I pour my heart out, and where opinions are expressed, and that is not really creative, unless we broaden the definition so that it includes the creation of memories, or strengthening a friendship is counted as part of the creation of a friendship, or the creation of a healthier, broader mind.

Conversely, I can follow a pattern and knit a sweater that looks just like another sweater that someone else designed, and I have made something, but that is not really self-expression, unless we broaden the definition to say that just my choosing to learn to knit, and put the time in there, and choosing that specific pattern counts as an expression of self.

Regardless, the two work well together. With a lot of the crafts where you are following patterns, you can get kind of meditative during that process, and have many thoughts, and perhaps you will work out some of the things that I do by journal writing.

Also, there is that sense of accomplishment when you are done: I made this. Not everyone can do it. It takes some mastery to be able to do other things. Crafters often turn their output into gifts, and strengthen relationships that way.

At the same time, talking to someone, and getting out your thoughts and feelings, can build confidence, where you may feel more free to try out some art. It may give you ideas of things that you want to convey, where you look for other means of expressing them.

I favor writing as my means of creative self-expression, because it works for me. I have at times used it very deliberately for therapy, and there have been many times when I thought I was just writing but it was therapeutic. However, if I can feel that I need to write, and there are specific things that I need to write, or start feeling like I need to draw or play bass, then it stands to reason that other people can be guided down the paths they need as well.

It's a very easy voice to shut out. There can be work and family responsibilities that wear you out, and then the most passive entertainment sounds like a really good idea. And I watch plenty of television, so I get that, but make room for the other things too. I am constantly finding new levels of how important it is.

See, I have just now slipped into emphasizing the creative side versus the self-expression side, while knowing that they are equally important. That could be due to it being common for people to not feel that they are creative, or can be, while it should always be very natural to speak one's mind. There are a lot of voices out their trying to shout down yours, though, and it can be easy to believe they are right. Don't.

Especially don't believe them if they are wealthier or more popular, more powerful than you. It is entirely possible that their power depends upon your continued silence, which would be very unlikely if they were using their power well.

I know I will be coming back here multiple times, and getting into how it relates to power, and recognition, and many other things. For now, my message is merely that you have value, and there are things inside you that have value. It will benefit you to get them out.

So think, feel, talk, write, draw, paint, dance, and sing. Knit and bake and scrapbook.

Speak. Create. Repeat.


No comments: