Thursday, April 17, 2014

Band Review: David Paige


David Paige never really coalesced for me. I feel bad about that, but after several listens I think I understand why.

On his Facebook biography he states "a sound that rocks harder than pop and is more accessible than much of today's alternative rock". I think it straddles that space in between awkwardly.

"Are You Ready" starts out with a strong beat, but it feels like it never fulfills that promise, but instead wimps out. On "Inside Out" at times it reminds me of Del Shannon's "Runaway" and at other points of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" by the Animals. Both of those songs have their points, but I am not sure they're compatible.

Some of that may be personal preference on my part, so it's not necessarily a reason not to try him out. There are good listening options on his web site or via Soundcloud. My favorites were probably "In The End" and "Learn To Love You", which had a really good intro. Probably listening to the four tracks mentioned will give you a good idea of whether the music will work for you or not.

It's intriguing to think about whether the different styles can be merged better, or if he should come down more squarely in either pop or rock, or that maybe it works but is just not for me. I will say that my issues are just with the song structures, but execution is well-done.




No comments: