Thursday, July 03, 2014

Band Review: Thesis Himself


I was not sure whether to use Thesis Himself or NyM-Pro as the title, but the tracks I have been listening to specify Thesis Himself for the most part.

The other thing that I should probably mention is that he has been at the top of the list for a while, and every time I would start listening I would just feel assaulted by the language, and think "Not this week."

Fortunately, when actually buckling down and listening, you can often find things to appreciate, and there are some things that sound a little better, though I have not liked the artist overall.

Giving credit where credit is due, the sound quality is great. He lists himself as a producer and engineer too, and I think artists can have confidence in his technical skills. The music he chooses generally works well. I just can't get past the words.

I realize that profanity, and everyone being either an N-word or a B-word, is common in hip-hop. Even without liking that, I can see times where it is used to give emphasis, or used with wit and intelligence, and I find ways to appreciate that.

"Cold!" almost gets there, but it still ended up feeling tiresome. It was a relief to finally hear an instrumental, and then I looked and that was not Thesis Himself. So I believe him to be a good engineer and a good DJ, but requiring improvement as an MC.



No comments: