Thursday, October 02, 2014

Band Review: Science


Science is one of those bands that I had been meaning to check out for a while. Having finally gotten around to it, I am so glad I did; they are really good!

I can't remember ever hearing any other band reference "qualitative properties" in a song, but Science does in "Less Is More", and it works. I do seem to remember reviewing at least one other band that listed Nikola Tesla as an influence, but I know no one else mentioned Carl Sagan (or George Carlin for that matter).

Speaking of things that I found on their Facebook page, their genre is listed as Frog Rock, which could just be adorable, but the biography refers to "melodic prog rock", which casts everything in a different light. Prog rock on its own indicates a willingness to be experimental and is generally accompanied by a high level of skill, all of which is here. Sadly, prog rock also often forget to be at all enjoyable to listen to. By not forgetting to be melodic, and by keeping the sense of fun that might cause you to refer to "frog rock", Science is good listening.

The closest comparison I can make is to Reggie and the Full Effect, where there is that mix of lightness and quality. Science is not quite as obviously silly, possibly because of all the scientific terminology. I haven't checked to see if all of the terms are being used correctly, but I suspect the science is good, because Science is good and so it follows logically.

I know I am using the word "good" a lot, but I want to emphasize that. The reason I have been meaning to check them out for a while was hearing good things often, and yet I see that they do not seem to have a large following. I realized that all the praise that I have seen has come from other musicians.

There are two things with that. First, it shows that people who know music pretty well think highly of them, which is often a good sign. Mainly, though, I just think more people should check them out.

So check out some Science! There are a variety of links posted.

My personal favorite tracks are "Beat Test" and "Emulsify Our Hearts". Quod erat demonstratum.









PS: Normally this week I would be covering the other two bands from last week's concert, but I find I could not do them justice at this time, so I am just going to owe them reviews for now. Science felt like a good bridge between last week and tomorrow's review, and because they were such a good band to cover, it makes me very optimistic for when I get around to This Good Robot.

No comments: