Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Christmas Giving


Once I decided to make my book free it was easy to tell people about it because it was a gift.

Actually, let me back up. It was easy not to ask for money, but it still felt like I was asking for their time. Also, some people would be so impressed, but really, no one is checking for quality when you self-publish so anyone can do it. I will admit there is some accomplishment in completing it, but it doesn't feel that impressive.

Anyway, I did the general tweet and general Facebook post, then - knowing those are easy to overlook - started sending direct communications. First it was to the people whom I thought would recognize some of Sarah's problems as their own. That part was easy. Then it expanded to people who have encouraged me at various times, and friends, and fans of the All American Rejects. (I did not write to anyone in the Rejects, girlfriends, former girlfriends, or family members. That may have been a mistake, but it seemed presumptuous.)

I started thinking about other musicians, because while it could be easily seen as a vampire book, musicians should recognize many of the aspects of being in a band, and might enjoy it on that level. Mark's storyline in the sequel will relate to that even more.

I also started thinking about comic book people, because there are so many I like, some of whom have been really nice to me. Also, their work has given me pleasure. If I could return the favor, I want to do that.

It became a big concern that I was missing someone important, so I finally just expanded the full followers screen to look for names, and that took me back to last year.

A little over a year ago I started thinking of things I could do for people. I wanted to give everyone a Christmas present. It started because there were some things that I wanted to do for people and I realized I could. That was the real reason that I participated in Darkstar Day, because it was important to Steve Morris that people participated, and I could be one more participant. I bought Colleen's book. I took pictures of me with my bass and my dog for Bass Dogs. And I worried about missing people, so I created a spreadsheet.

There were three tabs: everyone I follow on Twitter, everyone I am friends with on Facebook, and then the people my family was praying for, because it's periodically good to check and see if there is something we should be doing besides praying.

Obviously I could not get everyone by Christmas, but I thought I could work from it over the year. I started on New Year's Day on Facebook by asking "What can I do for you?" They did not know why I was asking, but I did get three responses. I told Kim a story, and I became Chantelle's walking partner. I also kept blogging, though I would have done that even if Rebecca had not asked me to. I know social networking can be sterile and narcissistic, but it has been a good experience for me, and I thought it could be even better.

I did not keep the spreadsheet up. I did make more entries, but I found that except for the music reviews and songs of they day I was always in response mode. I would see that someone was having a rough time, and so I would send them 30 reasons to live, or send them something inspirational until they reached their 1-year clean mark, or whatever seemed appropriate.

This time around I wrote down several names to check on where I did not offer them the book, but I have messaged them, or seen an account change and followed the new account. I will be checking on those people for a while. It was just too many to get them all now, and for a lot of them it's probably not the book that they need.

This method is not bad. I do see people, and help them. Sometimes I know I make a difference, and sometimes I am not sure, but I try.

I do feel like there is this higher level, where I could be proactive instead of reactive. I do not seem to be capable of that yet. I am still so human.

So, this is my promise to you: I care about you. If I see a chance to brighten your day, or support you, I will. I am also really fallible, so if you think I can help you, ask. It makes life easier for both of us.

And if you missed Family Blood when it was free, you know, it's only $2.99. I would still love some reviews. They don't have to be long or fancy, just what you liked, or why you didn't like it, or something to let other people who know nothing about me whether or not this book is for them.

No comments: