Thursday, May 14, 2015

Band Review: Illustrations


Illustrations is a band from San Antonio, Texas. Keywords they use are death metal, grindcore, hardcore, and punk.

I would have guessed hardcore. The lyrics are shouted in a growl, and the songs are musically aggressive. There are a few things that stand out, including interesting use of feedback.

I was glad to see metal listed, because "Endless Sleep" and "Widower" remind me a little of Metallica, ala "Enter Sandman". Some songs had a higher tempo that made me feel the punk roots, especially "Always Losing" and "In Shambles".

What stood out most though, was something I am not sure how to describe. It comes up most notably on "Heaven". The effect might involve tremolo, as there is a kind of an echoing feel to the guitar notes. It adds something haunting and otherworldly. For some reason it makes me think of Frank Iero, though I can't point you to a specific project of his. It intrigues me.

And, for the variations in what they do with guitar, despite the overall sound being pretty consistent, I have to conclude that these guys are skilled.

My listening has all been from their 2014 album, In Vain, available on Bandcamp for $10.00.



No comments: