Friday, January 01, 2016

Band Review: Christie Front Drive


One of my big goals for this year is to finish listening to all the bands in Nothing Feels Good. It's not really that it necessarily takes that long, but I do too many other things and forget about it. It feels like I have been in Chapter 4 forever.

Chapter 4 has some good stuff. This is where we get into Jimmy Eat World, whom I liked then, and The Get Up Kids, whom I saw perform a great show just a few months ago. Besides them, the band making the strongest impression on me is Christie Front Drive.

They already seem to have left a pretty big impression on others; I still see mentions of them in odd places, though part of the point of that time period is that these bands had a strong emotional impact that wasn't going to fade away. That led me to listen to them early.

My first thought was that I liked them, and so I didn't mark them off because I wanted to listen more. Then when I went back I didn't like them as much, but I wondered if I was wrong. That's why I decided to review them.

The issue appears to be that I like their later stuff a lot more than their earlier stuff. This may seem like splitting hairs when the lifespan of the band was really only about three or four years. Nonetheless, I still like Stereo best. From Anthology, I prefer the songs that were not on the First LP.

(The discography can be a little confusing because they did a lot of splits, but these are the titles used by Spotify.)

The sound is a little fuzzy, and reminds me of jangle in a way, though those two qualities don't get combined a lot. The singing is incomprehensible to me, and plaintive to the point of whining. That description does not sound likable, but there's something about it. This may make Christie Front Drive the quintessential emo band.

They have had a couple of reunions in the past decade. I don't know if they have plans for more, but I would take them up on it.


No comments: