Wednesday, August 02, 2017

It was supposed to be such a nice day


I am still going through quite a bit of paperwork, but that's not the problem.

Many months ago (when I still had some money), Green Day tickets went on sale. I wanted to go and Maria told me I had to take her, which led to me buying two tickets.

More recently than that, I received an invitation to the 80th anniversary party for my credit union. It was on the same day as the concert, but that was not a huge deal. The reception is from 4 to 6 and the concert doesn't start until 7. Based on their relative proximity that would be very doable.

As the time drew closer, there started to be some concerns. One is that Maria was not going to be available. Honestly, I have bad luck with her and concerts, which I should have thought of back when I purchased the tickets.

Also, I am very poor. It didn't seem like a big deal then to buy the tickets, but now it is, and now I wish I hadn't purchased them. I have seen Green Day. It was a great show, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again. Also, I wasn't doing reviews back then, so I was looking forward to writing up a show of theirs, but still, I need the money more.

I have tried looking for someone to buy the tickets, but without any luck. That leaves going to the venue and trying to scalp them. That would not be the most fun a person could have anyway, but that's the other thing going wrong: Heat Wave.

MAX may not be running. Trimet is letting people ride for free, which is great, but for the particular places I would like to go, MAX is more convenient.

I also don't know anything about scalping. I'm not trying to make a profit, and I did buy them in good faith - how illegal is it? Is it better to be early? By how much? What are the odds of me finding someone showing up in the hopes of buying on a day like today?

All of that probably scraps the reception too. They haven't canceled it, and they sent out a reassuring message that they will have bottled water, misters, and first-aid personnel, but somehow it isn't sounding quite as fun.

In the greater scheme of things, this is probably just a blip. The face value of the tickets would not change much, and if I hadn't bought them then, it would already have been spent on something else.

It is still very discouraging. I don't get out much, and certainly not out for anything on my own. Today was supposed to be a break, and it's not, and I am let down.

No comments: