Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Some thoughts on the vice-presidential debate

This was not what I intended to write, but it was another bad day. Some elements repeated from yesterday, and will play a role again tomorrow. There was also a completely surprising new development that will be keeping us busy for a while. I feel like screaming a lot, so I might as well write about politics.

1. Pence really cannot stand women being able to talk, can he? 

2. You need the ability to kill the mic, yes, but also, there really needs to be fact-checking, especially with his swine flu nonsense.

3. It shouldn't be that hard to say that you support the peaceful transfer of power. I get Trump not admitting it, the same way I get him not denouncing racism; expectations could not go lower. But Pence is the one who is theoretically not a malignant narcissist and capable of speaking in complete sentences. If he were to say that they respect the will of the American people and the law, there is still plenty of room to get in "But I believe we are going to win", and it would be at least a little comforting. Sure, Donald would not like stepping down, but if everyone around him accepts it, they can probably get him to leave with them. It's scary.

3a. Though it was a little funny that he couldn't admit that Trump is old. Failure to actually answer the question asked was in no way surprising.

4. Obviously, vote. Vote early. Drop off ballots instead of mailing them if you can. Ask for help getting to the polling place if you need it. I guess record if there are people intimidating you. I wish we didn't have to think about things like this, but we do. Put all of that together and vote.

I realize that is focusing on the problems with those currently in power, rather than on the qualities of those whom I hope will soon be in power. It is hard to ignore the horror show.

However, I should also add that while I was not initially thrilled with Biden being the nominee, I heartily approve of Harris being his running mate. I thought it showed growth in him, and a willingness to do better that seems to be borne out by his messaging. And then, watching someone capable of kindness, empathy, and deep thoughts has been a nice change. Four years is a long time to miss that. 

So, yes - enthusiastically now - Biden/Harris 2020.

No comments: