Friday, April 30, 2021

Review retrospective: Bands 401 - 500, 2017

2017 was a year of finding musicians, yes, but also songs that I loved. 

It was not completely confined to that year. I had "Local Roses" by Dear Boy be the last song of the 2016's week, because I associate it strongly with four other songs, all of which were encountered in 2017.

(I reviewed Dear Boy the last week of October 2016, so it wasn't that far from them.)

Of course, "Local Roses" did not play right before one of its associated 2017 songs, because then I did a post and week focusing on punk rock. It made sense to put that week there.

I also am not putting three of the other four songs in this next week, because it turns out that I do have enough songs I want to share from Asian American artists, and two of them will go there, and one came from the Emo listening and will belong with that post.

Also, I forgot that the event that tied those five songs together happened in 2018, and two additional songs had been added to the conversation (which will definitely come up). When the conversation was only two weeks old I remembered; but until finding the old post I had forgotten about the other two songs. They still mean a lot to me; they just aren't part of the group.

One night Colleen mentioned not having fallen in love with a song for a while and asked for suggestions. I had to mention seven. Really had to. Desperately.

At the time, I thought of it as just loving these songs so much, but also it being a good question. It was more interesting, in a way, than asking for band recommendations. Being able to recommend bands for people was one of the nice realizations that came with doing reviews, right around the time I had reviewed 300. This was something different.

Looking back, I suppose it was also a sign of becoming more isolated as I was focusing on caring for Mom. There were fewer conversations where I was likely to get a chance to tell people how I had just found this great song, and they should listen!

At this point, I am just happy and amazed to have found so many songs that I can listen to over and over again, still feeling them, still loving them.

Sadly, I must admit that after having listened to all of Anti-Flag, I don't like "Brandenburg Gate" as much. I don't dislike it, but I was so sure I was going to love everything about them. Instead, I just think they are okay.

They will still be represented in the Emo listening post. (I know they are not Emo, but about half of those bands won't be.)

But in a way it is good separating out the songs, because that means more other bands from 2017 get play.

So while in my heart Dear Boy's "Local Roses" will always be associated with Kyosuke Himuro's "Kiss Me", the Slants' "From The Heart", Marshall Crenshaw's "Whenever You're On My Mind", and Anti-Flag's "Brandenburg Gate", they shall be scattered throughout the many weeks of this retrospective.

Only Marshall Crenshaw shall play this week, but he will go first.

Otherwise, concerts were Trombone Shorty and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Rose Garden; Lily Pryor, Chris Margolin, Matt Pryor, and Dan Andriano in The Emergency Room at Doug Fir Lounge; Tesla, Poison, and Def Leppard at Rose Garden; Angélique Kidjo at the Schnitz; and I went with my brother to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Seattle. 

The heartbreak was that Marshall Crenshaw did come to Portland, but I couldn't go.

Songs for the week:

"Whenever You're On My Mind" by Marshall Crenshaw -- This song is from 1983, and I like "Some Day, Some Way", but it just makes no sense that I needed to wait 34 years to find it. There was an official video, but I have only seen poor quality copies, so I am going with the remastered audio version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvWl0Q96vw

"You And Me" by A New Nowhere -- I don't think this is even my favorite song of theirs, which is probably "Scream", but this video is so fun and weird. Them making it is more impressive because they didn't have a lot of material, and their review combined them with two other bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3BSroncsqY

“At Sunset” by Seasonal -- Seasonal haunts me because I like them while reviewing, but I did not figure out until after posting and they confirmed with me that the other album by a band called Seasonal was not them. I have been keeping them on the review list to make it up to them. Fortunately, they finally say new music is on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMnxz9oOONM

“Streetlight Street Life” by Moovalya -- Just kind of deliciously punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbBJXcRZN8k

“Julia” by NewLondon Fire -- This is the only song I have ever recommended to a stranger on an airplane. I think part of that is that usually I travel with my sisters, so maybe if I sat next to strangers more often it would happen more, but the song still deserves recommendation. Weirdly, I was going to put it in with 2015, but Spotify says it came out in 2017. My review was in 2015. Still going to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxmUKU7C-Sg

“Stay” by NoDevotion -- I found this one pretty haunting, and I was glad to find that the reconstituted band was great. I hope that meant a lot to the previous band's fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1O3D8Q7_A

“This Is Me” sung by Keala Settle, from The Greatest Showman -- Not from a review, but I have done at least four songs of the day from this movie. I might do some more, but this is the best musically and emotionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxugyZCfuw

 

Related posts:

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2018/05/beloved-songs.html

 

No comments: