Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Lost health

I expected the old e-mail messages thing to be simply an interesting time marker; this is what's happened with Twitter over the past year, and moving on!

I keep not moving on. 

In the strata of the e-mail backlog I keep finding other things about myself, some that I have even written about already, but am apparently not done with. In various ways, it tends to focus on loss.

I have also recently undergone a new experience, but I suppose it all relates: yesterday I tested positive for Covid.

I have given some details on Facebook, but let me back up. 

This is the first case in my household of my two younger sisters and I. Two of us mostly telecommute, which helps. It was the one who has to work on site that brought it home.

We have still escaped it for almost four years now, but my sisters were being more careless with masking. The contagion happening right after Thanksgiving is not a coincidence; plan on increased risk through the New Year. People want to do things, I get it.

I also get that the mask is not fun. Wearing it around home, I notice that my nose itches a lot. I wear it anyway, but I was not wearing it at home while Maria was incubating.

Despite my efforts to be responsible in not easily catching or spreading disease, I was probably irresponsible in testing.

Maria got bad chills on Tuesday. She took her temperature and saw that she had a fever, so took an antigen test that came out positive. She left work and called to let us know on the way.

We immediately started masking and distancing. It's not perfect. Some people have basements or attics and can really isolate. We only have a crawlspace and it would have been cruel to put her down there. Julie and I were not testing, but we were taking our temperatures. We planned on testing if we got symptoms, including fevers. Then, after Maria's first negative test I wanted to test, and then two days later. If those were both negative, I would have considered myself in the clear.

Sunday Maria was negative, so Julie and I both took our first tests. Julie was negative, but I wasn't.

People have been great, but I felt a twinge when getting recommendations to take Paxlovid.

Maria had a video appointment the day after she tested positive, and her PA recommended against it. The reasons given were that Maria's health was overall good, and the PA said that with Paxlovid people tend to get really bad diarrhea and then catch Covid again a couple of weeks later. 

Internet research (not a perfect system) seems to bear out that Covid rebound is a thing with Paxlovid, but diarrhea seems to be more of a Covid thing than a Paxlovid thing. I would take that with a grain of salt. My real issue is that I suspect I had it earlier than I thought. 

That made me feel that I was irresponsible in waiting to test. The problem was, we didn't have that many left. I have ordered more free tests, and we bought more too, but we did not feel free to just keep testing. If I had at least tested on Friday, I could have gotten a hold of my doctor.

Of course I didn't have the fever, but did I have symptoms?

Well, I work in a call center for Medicare plans and it's open enrollment. High call volume always makes my throat raw, and this is the busiest time of year. So, some coughing and sore throat did not stand out. When the calls keep coming, with no time to think in between and then the tools slow down because everyone is using them and I really care and often I can really help but then there are old people who are really lonely or cranky... I start getting this rage building up inside me. Then, my brain is fried by the end of the shift where I can't really read or be social, but it is still too worked up to fall asleep easily.

When your baseline is exhausted, hoarse, and constantly suppressing urges to scream and cry and run away, maybe checking for symptoms loses some of its efficacy.

I might have been sneezing more.

That's why I was relying so much on the temperature, but Maria had just gotten her most recent Covid booster Wednesday night, whereas I'd had mine a few weeks before. Individual immune response can vary, but that may have played a factor as well.

The point is, if you are supposed to take the Paxlovid within five days of symptoms, I was probably too late. I felt better Sunday than I had Saturday, but I had also had an extra day off the phone (which Monday ruined).

So, there are problems there, with my job situation, the national health care situation -- in terms of there even being an insurance industry and the cost and availability of tests -- and the plight of the elderly. that may have made it harder for me to handle everything correctly. 

On the plus side, I am fully vaccinated which probably eased my symptoms, I can telecommute, and I have just had Covid without missing a day of work or exposing any coworkers. We still have to hope Julie stays safe, but we work on opposite sides of the house, which I hope will help.

And I have a big box of KN95 masks.

My goal is still to get two negative tests before heading out into public again, or eating with my family and things like that, but the time frame has shifted.

I remember so many times people saying "We are all going to get COVID", and I was mad at that nihilism. I wanted to beat the odds.

Maria is very sorry.

We are still here.

No comments: