Friday, June 28, 2024

May Songs

May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, and so I chose songs by artists with that heritage.

There wasn't really any other theme. I tried to focus on artists who were actually in the United States, like last time, but using the ones that I remembered more and liked better.

It does mean that I am more familiar with a wider variety of musicians, which I like. However, I keep finding books about Black music that gives me specific themes and deep dives where I feel like I am doing something more there.

With Native American/Indigenous artists, while I do still find new artists, there is so much in terms of just figuring out which term to use and what implications and preferences come with that is its own thing.

The name of the month is even more problematic with Hispanic Heritage Month, but that has led to some interesting things too.

For this one I feel like I am on a plateau. 

I can live with that for now, but next year I hope there will be an idea for shaking it up (and that it will not be a vicious insurrection and descent into racist  horror).

Songs:

5/1 “Cello Suite  No. 1 in G Major, Prelude (Bach)” by Yo-Yo Ma
5/2 “A Place In The Sun” by Jake Shimabukuro (feat. Jack Johnson and Paula Fuga)
5/3 “Speed of Love” by James Iha
5/4 “Nothing Makes Sense Anymore” by Mike Shinoda
5/5 “The Bus Song” by Jay Som
5/6 “Family” by The Slants
5/7 “True Love” by Grace Kelly
5/8 “Laws of the Universe” by Toro y Moi
5/9 “Temptation” by Raveena
5/10 “Temple” by Thao & The Get Down Stay Down
5/11 “We Won't Go Back” by MILCK X BIIANCO X Autumn Rowe (featuring Ani DiFranco)
5/12 “Weak Souls Walk Around Here” by Ogikubo Station
5/13 “Can't Let Go, Juno” by Kishi Bashi
5/14 “Be Sweet” by Japanese Breakfast
5/15 “We” by Clones of the Queen
5/16 “Resolution/Revolution” by The Linda Lindas
5/17 “Loyalty” by Blue Scholars
5/18 “Better With You” by Kurt Hugo Schneider and Katherine Ho
5/19 “Broke” by Jennifer Chung ft. Joules
5/20 “Still in This Game” by Only Won
5/21 “Love You Anywhere” by P.Keys
5/22 “Another Universe” by Melissa Polinar, Jeremy Passion, and Glenn Lumanta
5/23 “Star” by Mitski
5/24 “Let Me Blow Ya Mind” by Ruby Ibarra ft. Bootleg Orchestra
5/25 “Blue Nile” by Low Leaf
5/26 “Dig It” by Mountain Brothers
5/27 “Surya” by Awaaz Do
5/28 “wherever u r” by UMI ft. V of BTS
5/29 “29” by Run River North
5/30 “Thursday” by Asobi Seksu
5/31 “Back Of My Mind” by Bodysync X Dazy

No comments: