Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Unplanned

As I have been reviewing this phase of my life, I keep looking for an organized plan of action for how I am going to contribute to the world: this is what I can do and I am going to do it!

It just isn't gelling.

It could be worse. I mentioned trying to organize keeping in better touch with people. I do not have a plan for that, but I keep making contacts. I see someone's birthday is coming up or a thought crosses my mind. I am probably doing pretty well at staying connected right now.

I also did have one very strong thought regarding working on things for my mother, in that it is important that I don't stop thinking about senior health care when it stops being a personal worry. Someday I will not need to worry about her anymore, but other people will be dealing with the same issues that I have dealt with. I will need to remember that and be a voice regarding that.

(Though I then had a dream where I was yelling at a legislator about children's health care, so I am not sure how broad a scope it will be.)

I am interested in a lot of different issues, and it would not be realistic to work on all of them. I had been hoping that there would be more focus. Maybe it is health care, or maybe it will be more like contacting people, where I will research things and write letters as ideas pop into my head. 

Does that even sound effective?

With days counting down until the election, it seems more important to have a plan and a timeline. If there is any possibility of me exerting a positive influence on that, I should not delay, but is that a possibility?

One thing I do know is that making a better world requires constant effort. Yes, the Democrats have considerable moral high ground over Republicans, but they still essentially adhere to capitalism and corporate interests and supporting institutional power. Not being viciously anti-social is important, but it's not enough.

Thinking about writing letters and pressuring legislators and following information is important, but it only has a chance if Harris wins, and there's a deadline on that. 

It all feels so critical, and here I am not sure what to do. 

I think my problem is that I don't know the future. It will still come. 

No comments: