Friday, September 01, 2017

Band Review: Giles Lamb


This review of Giles Lamb is serendipity. I was trying to track down a video of a comedy sketch using Earth, Wind, and Fire's "September". In the process I came across "September" by Giles Lamb and liked it.

Film composers have different goals than rock bands, often needing to focus more on making a good background than standing out. A week of listening can be great, but it may be hard to point to specific songs.

As it is, I still really like "September". I also especially enjoyed the tracks under Timeless/Visit Scotland.

I could also point to tracks I like less. Transform sounds a bit more technological, and is not as relaxing. Even knowing it is not my favorite, I suspect everything on Transform works for its intended purpose, which is important. The ability to meet the needs of various projects should keep Lamb employed, but it is still nice that the music can be enjoyed outside of that context. It is still good that many of the pieces are independently beautiful.

My favorite is Before the Birds. That is where "September" comes from, so it makes sense. I wouldn't have found it without a random search.

Sometimes things work out.





No comments: