Thursday, August 31, 2017

Band Review: Seasonal

ETA -- Kodachrome is by a different Seasonal. This means that I like all of their music, and not more their older music. I do wish I had known this sooner.

I am making these corrections, but I will also try and see if at some point I can get a live review or a new album review for this Seasonal, for something that will only be theirs.


Seasonal is a band from Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

They self-describe as indie/emo/whatever, and I think that's a reasonable level of ambivalence.

NOT THEM - Their most recent release, 2017's Kodachrome, comes with a style that reminds me of many bands that have come up for both emo and alternative when I have been exploring those genres. Many of the tracks feature speech over the music, similar to some hardcore bands, but not as concussive.

However, before that, from various singles and 2015's The World We Choose to See, the sound was a bit mellower. There is a lot of musicality with the guitars, and some nods to the '70s.

There is a lot to be said for continuing to develop and try new things over the path of a band. The more recent sound hearkens to some of the traditional punk history of the region.

Still, I like the older stuff better. Special favorites were "Cricket Weather" and "At Sunset".





1 comment:

John Halfpenny said...

Hey Gina! Thanks for the review! Glad you like the older stuff, because that's actually the only realeases we put out as seasonal. The Kodachrome album isn't us at all. Thanks for the kind words!