Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pool Theory

In my last I gave you my thoughts on karaoke, but last night involved pool too. (If anyone is wondering, I did “Falling for the First Time”.)

My first encounter with pool was, I think, at the open house after Aaron Munter’s bar mitzvah. He had many toys, so I got chances to try out ping pong, mini-billiards, and I think some video game, or maybe it was darts. Basically, I just remember showing no aptitude for any of them, especially the billiards. I couldn’t get a proper feel for holding the stick, and nothing went where I wanted it. The other things I felt like I could improve at, but not pool.

(I do understand that pool and billiards are not the same thing, but I believe that they are similar enough that being lousy at one is a good predictor for being lousy at the other.)

It never really came up that often, so I didn’t worry too much about it. However, at a recent alumni get-together at Ringlers, people were playing, and I realized that even people who played missed a lot of shots. It started to change my perspective. Maybe it’s not something you’re supposed to be good at. I can do stuff like that.

One guy there offered to teach me, and he was really good. He explained the basics, made me take several practice shots before we started, and when I really messed up a shot during the game he had me go again. I don’t think he was intentionally missing shots and giving me good leads, but it was still a lot of help, and I actually won that game. That being said, I won it by sinking nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, three balls, nothing, two balls, nothing, nothing, well, you get the picture.

So I thought, I can do this. I can play pool. Then, there was another get-together, this time at Henry’s, and I got to play pool for the second time (I don’t really count the bar mitzvah). It was different this time. The other people playing were fraternity brothers who, though having known each other before, apparently bonded a lot over pool during college, and Joe even now has a pool table in his basement. I was toast.

I had to amend my theory at this point. You don’t have to be good at pool, but some people certainly do become good at it. I believe it is like golf in this way, only, you know, less boring and elitist.

Anyway, my third round of pool happened Saturday night, where Bernadine and I played pretty steadily for an hour. I did win one game, when she inadvertently sank the 8-ball early. Go Default! She was significantly better than me, but no Joe. Anyway, she was not given to gloating, and it could have been worse. I am hitting the balls I mean to hit on a regular basis—they just usually don’t go where I want them to after that. And yes, I saw Donald in Mathmagic Land—I totally get that it is all about geometry; it just isn’t quite enough yet.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that if you are lousy at pool, I would love to play you. It’s not even so I can beat you, but I would love to lose with more dignity.

Alma 28 – 31
11514 steps

No comments: