Thursday, August 16, 2012

Comic Book Highlights, Lowlights, and Random Thoughts

Going forward, there are things I know and things I don’t. I had been feeling like all of my superhero reading had been Marvel, and that I should take up some DC, but my purchases at the comic book shop were all DC, and the Sandman is DC and he meets up with Constantine, Mr. Miracle, and Martian Manhunter, so that has probably been somewhat balanced out now.

The DC Universe seems to be a lot bleaker. Perhaps that is necessary when you have more awesome powers, or there’s no challenge, but I would rather just not be ultra-powerful, and have a better world. That’s a tradeoff I’m willing to make.

I know I will read more by Marjane Satrapi, and that I will look for more Flaming Carrot. I think I will try and find some Tick comics, though they will not replace the cartoon. I will try more in the Amulet series. Obviously, I will be right there for Danger Days when it comes out. Maybe as we get closer to that, it will be the right time for my next round.

American Splendor: This one was a lot of work. Initially I thought maybe I should just flip around in it, but I did not feel right doing that, so I gave myself a break and then came back and read some more. It turned into my comic book version of “Guns, Germs, and Steel”. It ended up being very rewarding though, and it was a nice surprise to suddenly come upon a sketch of Multnomah Falls.

Maus: There is a segment where Art’s father is upset, and his stepmother thinks it is because he saw an old comic of Art’s where he went over his mother’s suicide and what that put him through. Never expecting it to be seen, Art is horrified, but when he talks to his father the main thing he says is “I’m glad you got that out.” He is a frustrating man (or mouse) almost throughout, but I found that moment really touching. Not only did he put his son’s feelings above his own discomfort, but he understood the value of his art.

Rapunzel’s Revenge: Why is this annoying me so much. The art’s good. Things are moving along pretty quickly. I think it’s the Old West dialect. I think it’s my aversion to rednecks.

Absolute Sandman: I have heard that Batman #666 resembles Grant Morrison, but I think Dream, especially the Sam Kieth version, looks like Gaiman. Of course, at other times I think he looks like Stephen Rea, Jamie West-Oram, or Marky Ramone, so I really don’t know. I guess hair has a lot to do with it.

Elfquest 1: Wolfrider: That little kid who is going to be the old guy’s protégé is the same one who died at the beginning of that other book I had (I think), leading to the burning of the forest, the trolls tricking them into being trapped in the desert and meeting up with the People of the Sun, so it all connects. Also, when did I get over fantasy? Because I think I am.

The Umbrella Academy: Scott Allie of Dark Horse has named this as one he would like to see turned into a movie, and that could be awesome, but I think it would be difficult to find a child actor to portray “The Boy” well. Maybe Miles Iero in a few years. Actually, based on some of the things her father tweets, maybe Lily.

Complete Frank Miller Spider-Man: I think he is favoring Daredevil over Spider-Man, and I am not sure I approve. Are those tantrums really in character? Although, he has a scene set at CBGB’s and there is an Elvis Costello reference, so I can’t find it completely uncool.

300: I can totally see how people wanted to turn it into a movie. It is very cinematic.

Frank Miller in general: I appreciate that he does not give the women ridiculous breasts, but there are other things that make me wonder if his is just more into butts.

Batman and Catwoman: Trail of the Gun: It’s a bit preachy. I don’t even disagree with the message, but I think some subtlety works better.

JLA: World Without a Justice League: There is a bit where Diana Troy takes off with Super Girl and Red Tornado, not having time to deal with people with lesser powers, and it really gets under Green Arrow’s skin. I think that’s worth exploring. It’s relatable.

Ghost World: It seems somewhat telling that someone who has created characters filled with so much self-loathing and contempt for the world, appears to have inserted himself into the book as a creepy guy with a bad vibe.

Watchmen: It’s still all about that last page in Chapter 11. I’m never going to forget that.

Unfortunate stereotypes: Both Watchmen and Absolute Sandman have lesbian couples whose breakups involve physical violence.

This is the article with Scott Allie and several other key comics figures talking about comics and movies.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/madaboutmovies/2012/07/once_a_fan_always_a_fan_portla.html

Also, once more recommendations for the web:

http://culturepulp.typepad.com/
http://breakfastofthegods.com/
http://www.nealskorpen.com/
http://sequart.org/

No comments: