Friday, August 10, 2012

Comic Con

Yesterday’s Oregonian surprised me with a sidebar article on the front of Living announcing a new Portland Comic Con based on San Diego’s Comic Con. It seemed timely, based on what I am doing now, so of course I read, but also, Double Tree Hotel? That sounds a lot like Stumptown Comics Fest. Are they just changing the name? I like Stumptown. Wait, Stumptown happened at the Convention Center in April? I am out of the loop. Well, I did sort of know that.

Anyway, special guests were listed as Holly from the original Land of the Lost and Richard Hatch from Battlestar Galactica, and it sounds like they are going to try and have more workshops and networking, rather than just a bunch of tables set up, so that could be good or bad but I was thinking it was at least worth checking out.

My sisters come home and I tell them about this, and they make a few jokes, and yet are intrigued, which is their normal approach to my journey here, and they ask if I am going, and I said that I think it could be worth checking out, depending on which artists will be there, but I will not go in costume.

“Fine, just don’t fit in.”

(Honestly, I have no idea if they are even encouraging costumes, but I’m not up for that._

The discussion continued, and they were trying to think about what would induce them to go. This was kind of timely, because the other night we went to see the Fixx at Music Millennium (I will write more about that later), which was our first time there, and it was kind of cool, but it is not completely convenient, and so we were discussing whom else we would go for. Most of the bands we still follow just play bigger venues, even if they are not huge, and what I finally decided, and they agreed, is that we won’t know in advance—we will just see the name and be like “Going!”

So, Maria decided that the guest that would get her to Portland Comic Con would be Dirk Benedict, whom we definitely watched as Starbuck on the original Battlestar Galactica, but whom we love even more as Face on the A-Team. She said that, and I said, well, they only have Apollo. Pause. Okay, we’re going.

Okay, that will be an interesting experience for us. Fine. I go online for more information. The guest page shows Kathy Coleman (Holly), but not Richard Hatch. Instead it shows Noah Hathaway. Hatch/Hathway, Apollo/Boxey. Somehow that does not feel the same.

Maria comes in and I tell her.

“Who’s that?”
“Boxey.”
“What’s that?”
“Well, he was also in The Neverending Story.”
“He was Atreyu?”
“Yeah. Didn’t you know?”
“I don’t go see stupid movies.”
“Then how did you know the name?”

There was no answer to this. Frankly, I am pretty sure they both saw it, because I think they are the ones who told me that Ozma from Return to Oz was the Childlike Empress in The Neverending Story. I have not seen the movie, but I understand a horse dies, so they totally could have blocked it out. Also, I think there is a band named Atreyu, so she could know from that. Anyway, Comic Con was back off.

However, today I go back to the page, and now they show both Richard Hatch and Noah Hathaway (and Holly). I feel a little jerked around, but it might be back on. I don’t know. None of the artists whose books I own and would want signed are featured, but I guess I’ll see what workshops they have and decide. Obviously, Portland is not a huge city, but it is artistic, and this could be a really good thing. I am not sure if both Stumptown and Rose City will continue, and if they do, if that will be bad competition or good for keeping the scene alive, but you know, it will be interesting to find out.

In other news, I decided it was really time—I must watch Comic-Con Episode 4: A Fan’s Hope. Also, we have decided our trip to Heroes and Hobbies, and to Wunderland, will be Monday night, so I guess it is Family Home Evening.

http://www.rosecitycomiccon.com/
http://www.stumptowncomics.com/
http://www.wunderlandgames.com/

No comments: