Monday, November 26, 2012

First Comics Review!


Yes, I am a little excited.
I was writing about comics a lot back in August, and there were some notes and things, but here I am actually going to take individual works and analyze them. It will not be only that, just like when I get to music reviews it will not be only that. For one thing I am writing as a fan and not as a professional, and also, I am specifically searching out things I expect to like, so I will probably never eviscerate anything. Also, I may toss in personal details and related stories, because that’s how I roll.
Halloween Eve (Writer: Brandon Montclare, Artist: Amy Reeder)
This is basically A Halloween Carol, with a protagonist who does not appreciate the holiday coming around through the marvelous happenings of a single night. As the holiday is Halloween instead of Christmas, the underlying message is more about knowing who you want to be and being willing to put yourself out there, but it is still a good message.
The story moves in fits and starts, with the pacing not being great. I wonder if part of the problem was that the author found it hard to find the female voice, because there are gender references that are a little clumsy. I can’t blame them for going this route, though, because Eve herself is so visually striking.
That is where the comic really works. The artwork by Amy Reeder is fantastic. The characters are vibrant and alive, and the page layouts are interesting, and the colors are gorgeous. Reeder did the coloring and the lettering too, so her achievement just keeps becoming more impressive. I love her style, and I think these characters could do other things. Also, knowing this started as a Kickstarter project endears it to me as well, knowing that this is truly a labor of love.
Swamp Thing Annual December 2012 (Writers: Scott Snyder and Scott Tuft, Artist Becky Cloonan)
This is the first Swamp Thing I have read. I do have some background knowledge, but in terms of knowing how this fits into the most recent issues, I don’t actually know, and my impressions may be wrong.
That being said, it appears to me to raise the emotional stakes. From the first page Abby is dead, Anton Arcane is the enemy, and Swamp Thing is angry. On the last page the situation is much the same—all that has been added is a personal desire for revenge on the enemy. It seems that would be inevitable, though, so everything that happens in the middle is all about the emotions, and we know they are doomed. The blossoming feelings will be interrupted, the memories lost, and the players dead (even if Alec’s memories live on in the Swamp Thing).
This is underscored with imagery of death and decay everywhere, from the skin of the villagers to the stone formations in the castle walls to a very effective foreshadowing when Abby and Alec first shake hands. This cannot end well, and it doesn’t. Something that could be isn’t, and all that is left is a sense in Swamp Thing that there was something. He needs to be told what it was, but that sense is still there. It was beautiful, and it did matter, despite the world’s decay.
Memorial (Writer: Chris Roberson, Artist: Rich Ellis)
I think this is the most perfect comic I have ever read, and I don’t say that lightly. The pacing is excellent. The story moves along quickly, and is hard to put down, but it covers the points that it needs to, without that feeling that things are being glossed over.
The artwork is gorgeous. I admit to some bias here, because I did not realize that the creators were based in Portland, so I was pleasantly surprised to see MAX, and Powells, and Mr. Portland and that bear statue. That built up some affection quickly, but it wouldn’t have been enough if the rest didn’t work, or I would still be watching Portlandia. Anyway, it goes to many unfamiliar places, mostly destinations that you can only visit through the courtesy of the creators, but there are familiar things about them nonetheless.
There is a wealth of imagination in the ideas, and the base conflict raises some really interesting metaphysical questions. There is clearly more story to be told, so it is interesting wondering where it will go. Plus there’s a sarcastic cat. What more could you want?
Note: Memorial author Chris Roberson will be signing Masks at the Portland Things from Another World November 28th from 7 – 10 PM. 2916 NE Broadway Street, Portland, Oregon 97232

No comments: