Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Comic Review: Wolves and The Mire, by Becky Cloonan

So, it has been two months since my first comic review, and honestly, while I have talked a few people into checking out Memorial, that seems to be more from my conversation with them than anyone actually reading the review.
The lack of influence didn’t stop me, or I’d have given up blogging a long time ago. There were two other areas of hesitation. One is that I always feel a little iffy reviewing anything, like who am I to comment on it? The other is that these were the two works that it made the most sense to review next, and I still wasn’t sure that I’d understood them.
Two things helped me move past that, though I didn’t realize it until today. Yesterday The Gaslight Anthem tweeted a link to a Tumblr review which was passionately favorable about their music, but kind of not about their musicianship, as in “Sometimes Brian Fallon’s voice is up to snuff, sometimes it isn’t.” I’m here like, What are you talking about? They’re amazing! Seriously, I keep liking all of these little touches and thinking how good they are when they are playing, and she has listened to them more, but okay, you can criticize and the band can handle it.
That clicked in today when I read a post on Becky Cloonan. Again, it was very positive, but what resonated with me is that while reading it hit me that the writer, Nathanial Perkins, came away with a different understanding of Wolves than I did. He didn’t come right out and say his interpretation, but that is what I felt, and somehow this makes it okay for me to have doubts about the resolution. I’m not saying logical, but suddenly this was the thing to write.
I am going to treat the two together. They aren’t exactly sequential, but they are connected, and will be connected to a third mini-comic, Demeter, as part of a thematic trilogy.
Perhaps once I have gone through Demeter a few times, I will see them all in a new light.
First of all, let me say that the art is absolutely gorgeous. I love the expression and the detail in Cloonan’s work anyway. Actually, the first comic review included more of her work, and again, beautiful. First I am drawn to the people, and the eyes in their expressive faces, but the scenery too is rich and detailed, and important for the mood.
Let me see if I can explain that mood. Well, it’s easier to talk about The Mire. As Aiden works his way through the title setting, there are his thoughts, and the words of a letter from Owain, and there are parallels where it is hard to immediately know whose words they are. It is fitting, once the path Aiden is taking is understood. And yet, it is easy to get mired in the past, which has created the present.
In the case of The Mire, a few years past is catching up to the present, with a protagonist who is just as uninformed as the reader as he starts out. Perhaps that is why I felt like I was on more comfortable footing there. In Wolves, everyone is complicit. They may all have things that they don’t know right away, but their moments of understanding come, and make perfect sense, based on what has gone before.
If I was not sure of everything that the resolution to Wolves meant, well, that may not be the point. There is a plot, but it is more about what you feel as you are reading, and what you think afterwards and the lingering mood. They are books, but it seems fair to say that both pieces function more like snatches of poetry, or music.
Again, I’m not ruling out revisiting this after Demeter.
For now, I have not decided on a set schedule for reviewing comics. I just worked out how I’m doing music a few weeks ago. Even knowing that, I suspect at some point when I build up a head of steam on some socio-political topic that will take more than three days to cover, it will feel weird to break off for Thursday and Friday to review bands. At the same time, it may still be good for me, because those heads of steam often frustrate and depress me.
I can say that regarding my plan to buy some new comic and music every month, I took two months off for Christmas and my birthday, receiving three CDs and one comic between the two. I am set to buy again in February, but I am saving that for vacation. I have heard there is a pretty cool comic book store in Downtown Disney, and maybe I’ll see if Alturas has a new CD, as they always seem to be playing there, and I really like the one I do have, Caminos.
Also, I have been reviewing all comics on Goodreads when they are listed. It may make sense to save the blog reviews for single issues and just use Goodreads for bound works or compendiums, but I’m still feeling my way along on this one, as I do.
Thank you Rachel and Nathanial.
http://racheldbarber.tumblr.com/
http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/off-the-cape-wolves-the-mire/


http://sporkful.blogspot.com/2012/11/first-comics-review.html

No comments: