Thursday, January 03, 2013

It Boys and Girls

I’m not ready to post the next couple of band reviews yet, but I thought I could still do something entertainment-related.
I don’t watch a lot of television, but I do read a lot about it, and that led to noticing two things. From the watching, the series I primarily watch are Grimm, Once Upon a Time, and Person of Interest. I also watch Jeopardy, Modern Family, and White Collar, so one game show, sitcom, and cable series, but of the three network dramas, the interesting thing is that Amy Acker appeared on all three of them this year.
I did not watch Angel regularly, so I was not familiar with her work, but I have to say that she played completely different characters in all three, and actually in both Grimm and Person of Interest she played people who were adopting other personas to accomplish their own nefarious purposes (with varying levels of conflict), and I have to say, I am pretty impressed. I think she is very likely to return to Person of Interest, and I hope she returns to Once Upon a Time, for Grumpy’s sake.
Speaking of Once Upon a Time, that was also my first real exposure to watching Giancarlo Esposito. However, reading about television, he appeas to be on everything. Not having seen the performances, I don’t know how wide of a range exists between Gus Fring and Major Tom Neville, but I’m pretty sure neither of them is much like the Magic Mirror/Sidney Glass. Anyway, reports come back that he is a super nice guy, and he has played some super not nice guys, so I’m guessing he has some range too.
I’m just going to go out on a limb and assume that both of them are liked and respected, and that leads to them getting hired a lot—people know they can deliver the goods and they like working with them. I like that. I know it doesn’t necessarily bring you tons of fame and money. Actually, the acting profession is a few big stars, and a lot of broken dreams, and also a large number who toil away and do great work. They know they are lucky to be able to make a living acting without also waiting tables, and ideally that is enough because they don’t get a lot of fame.
So, I guess the point of this is just to give some extra accolades. Well done Amy Acker! Good job Giancarlo Esposito! You have enriched my year, and the viewing of many others. Thank you.
Walton Goggins, I have only seen you in Cowboys & Aliens, not the best-regarded film, I know. Nonetheless, I really liked you in it, and I read great things about your work. It’s not just your series roles, because it sounds like people are not going to be able to forget your guest spot on Sons of Anarchy.
Ken Leung, you are new to me, but I enjoyed you a lot. Judith Ivey, I am never not happy to see you. Suddenly, I remember that I am missing Joe Morton. I always know he is going to deliver the goods.
There are a lot of you like this. You won’t be recognized as the Most Valuable Players, but you are so valuable! Instead, you are “Hey, it’s that guy!” or “Where have I seen her before?” I usually can narrow it down, but IMDB helps a lot. And yes, I could watch you all a lot more, if I watched more television and movies, but you know, I probably enjoy them more for limiting it. Critics who watch everything get really jaded about everything.
So for now, all I am doing is saying, “Thanks. I like you.”
(I hope you get some real honors too.)

No comments: