Monday, February 11, 2013

Writing showcase


I am on vacation this week, and I didn’t want to give up daily postings, but also I had a lot of things I was trying to get done, so I decided Monday through Wednesday would be other things I have written where I don’t really have anything to do with them.

I guess it goes back to The Bear in the Net. I care about that, but I don’t think I will spend a lot of time doing children’s stories. Still, posting that was good. Some people read it, and some people liked it, and that meant something to me.

I don’t know how anyone feels about the comic book, but I finally finished the screenplay based on the dream I had involving vampires and the All-American Rejects, and I let a fan read it, and she loved it, so I will take that. Yes, I write for me, and yet they are still meant to be read.

I can’t do too much posting with the screenplays. I want to sell them, so as intellectual property they need to be somewhat protected, but that’s not all I have, and most of the other stuff is never going to go anywhere.

The novel is too long for posting, and I think I would be pretty unhappy with it now. There is a novella that I wrote of “Hungry” before I wrote it as a screenplay, which I really needed to do first, but that’s kind of long too, and again, I would probably not be satisfied with the quality. I have an unfinished ghost story that still may become a screenplay, so that is off the table too.

That leaves us with a song, a couple of essays, and the things that we are actually going to use: one poem and two short story type things. And yes, they are getting some rewriting too.

Corporate Malfeasance was absolutely written while I was working at Intel, but there are other inspirations there too. That will probably go up Tuesday.

Cynic-rella came about after the accountant, so it’s a few years old, and honestly, I didn’t write it correctly the first time. What I did write has some interesting points, but I got lost in the lead-in without getting to the point. Therefore, it will be the most re-written.of the three. I have still kind of given the material as is, though. One night I was scheduled to do stand up comedy, and it was a bad week ending in the death of a pet, and I could not do what I normally did, so I just told them Cynic-rella and it worked.

Thursday and Friday should be reviews of bands that don’t have many songs available yet, and of course, all of this hinges on me being able to get an internet connection at least once a day. If I can’t, the material is still written, so will be there waiting for me.

That just leaves Monday, today, and a piece that is not cynical or satirical, but very close to my heart.

I have always wanted the magic wand solution, where good things happen and you never have to worry again. Big hopes have been selling a screenplay or winning on Jeopardy. I can rule out the second one now, but am still hoping for the first.

If I sell a screenplay, that will be amazing, and it will help financially, but it would probably take multiple sales to be able to write full time, and ultimately, I will still need to work. There is always the chance of contacts drying up, or losing a job, and accepting that was one thing, but I also had to learn that it was for the best, and there ended up being Biblical overtones.

I did try writing an essay about that, but putting in the specifics dragged it down, and leaving out the specifics made it weak. Somehow the answer to that was to turn it into a poem.

Daily Bread, by Gina Harris

Elisha, at the widow’s need
Found one resource she had left
Then made the oil multiply
Pouring in to pot and cruse and vase
Each filled container set aside
Until she could repay her debt
I am more like the widow of Zarephath.
In a lean and hungry time
She took Elijah as her guest.
Oil multiplied, and meal,
But only day by day.
Never empty, but not overflowing,
Until the famine went away.
I’d like to see Heaven’s windows open,
Spill out in plenty over me,
See the fruits of years of toil
Blossom with great rapidity.
But I might find, were that the case
That sloth would grow from too much ease.
Perhaps I’d think the glory mine,
And spend less time on bended knee.
Enough for a day is still enough.
Not rich, I am still loved and fed
Remembering always, I need Thee
And always granted daily bread.

No comments: