Wednesday, June 19, 2013

All kinds of comics are awesome!


I don't get to talk to people who are into comic books that often, but when I do, I usually keep coming back to the same question, wanting to know if there is overlap between the different audiences.
No, I'm not asking if people read both DC and Marvel, or stick to one or the other. What I want to know is whether the people who read Persepolis read Captain Marvel? Do the people who like Catwoman also like Maus? I keep asking, because the answer always appears to be "no", and I remain unsatisfied.

Of course there are exceptions. For one thing, in a venue like this, where everyone is either a comic book creator or scholar, they're familiar with both types. Also, I am sure there is some crossover. I bet Watchmen has a pretty broad readership. Still, I just want more, and it doesn't seem to be there.

One of the people I asked was Benjamin Woo, who had studied the social scenes at comic book shops, and he made a really interesting point. Some of these shopkeepers may carry both types of books, and get both types of customers, but the customers are probably still not crossing paths, because the people coming in for the superhero monthlies are coming in on Wednesday night, and the people coming in after reading literary views are probably there on the weekends. Maybe by virtue of finding other materials in the same store, they will branch out, but it still doesn't seem to be happening.

Intellectually I feel like I should be better reconciled to this. After all, people who like books don't usually read every single kind of book, but they are so close! Both readerships have been able to find pleasure and poignancy in sequential art, and they could find so much more if they would just look a little farther.

Not only is there room to appreciate both types of art, but to expand our use of it. Studies have shown that graphic novels help people learn. If you think about it, combining pictures with words provides more interest and reinforcement, and help for visual learners who may not do as well with text alone. We should respect this power.

With my music reviews, I will sometimes start wondering if there is some way to do more. Could I do some deejaying and play the songs, or do follow up posts? It is not my job to make people listen to the band, but I want them too, and it is not happening enough.

I am getting into the same place with comics. Yes, I will do a Goodreads review if it is listed there (books are, monthly issues aren't), and I will do occasional reviews on the blog, and some people will read that, but not enough, and probably not with much impact.

And then I think that if I am going to start evangelizing, shouldn't I do it about something more important? Except that I also blog about religion and faith and politics and economics and everything that is important to me, and also, I think art is really important. So then it sounds like what I really want is more influence, but people don't need to read comics because of me; they just need to read them. And yet, they are not reading enough, and right now my only tool is the blog. And sometimes I back Kickstarter projects.

So, I don't know where I'm going with that. I may start doing reviews more regularly; I don't know that it would make a difference. I know I will write more when I finish going through my Dark Horse trove. Monday and Tuesday next week will still be inspired by ICAF, but more specific to Portland, and living and creating in the Northwest. Wednesday could be an offshoot of that, or a review of three series I am looking at now. We'll see.

I don't know how crazy I will get over this. I may start giving out comic books at Halloween, which would be okay, and as birthday gifts, which could still be okay, but as wedding gifts they may start to get a little iffy. It's not always easy to find the best way of effecting change.

Just read more comics.

No comments: