Friday, September 20, 2013

Band Review: Color Theory


There is an interesting story on Color Theory's main page. His song "Ponytail Girl" was mistaken for a Depeche Mode song, so much so that it ended up as bonus track on bootleg Depeche Mode CDs. (I did not know that bootleggers attempted to add value in this way, but knowing that now I can totally see then making mistakes like this, because real fans would not be pirates.) This led to Color Theory's 2003 release, Color Theory presents Depeche Mode.
Color Theory does, in fact, sound a great deal like Depeche Mode, though less so on that album. While Depeche Mode, and other '80s synth pop has been an influence, Color Theory has also been influenced by contemporary techno groups like Deadmau5. So there are throwbacks to an earlier time, like a cover of A-ha's "Living a Boy's Adventure Tale", but there are also mixes that explore electronica.
There is a huge amount of output here. Normally in the week that I do a review, I like to listen to the artist's entire catalog three times. There was not a chance of that happening. So I jumped around in listening, hoping to get a good representation, and there were two questions that came up.
One is whether you can learn more by avoiding or diving into the remixes. You can learn some things about an artist by listening to completely different songs, but hearing them pull different nuances out of the same song is its own education.
I actually don't have an answer for that. While there are several remixes on the list, they are generally of different songs. It was not a Youngblood Hawke situation where there were six mixes of "We Come Running". It looked like there were three remixes (plus the original) of "What You Said", but that appears to be the maximum, and the exception.
The other question is, when someone reminds you so much of Depeche Mode, do you need them, because we already have Depeche Mode. And the answer for me there is "I Should Have Kissed You".
It was one of the first tracks I listened to, and it just caught me, like songs sometimes do. There are emotional connections that can't always be predicted. Color Theory gave me something that touched my heart, and there is value in that. Often the songs seem rather muted, but there is emotion in them. I also really responded to "If It's My Time To Go (Original Mix)".
Songs are available via iTunes and Amazon, and can be heard at music.colortheory.com.

1 comment:

Brian Hazard said...

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review!