Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Poverty shaming


Possibly what I should really do is write something about the concept of shaming in general, because there are some frequent similarities, regardless of what is being attacked. It will probably happen sooner or later.

Today, though, I am going to focus on something that happened around Christmas. I posted the following article on Facebook:


Honestly, I did not think it was a particularly controversial piece, but it started off a pretty lengthy discussion about the family's options. Well, that may give the wrong impression.

First of all, let me say that I have decided that I am not going to delete anyone for being ignorant and heartless. If they are willing to be exposed to my posts, I am not going to terminate just because I find their political beliefs repugnant.

The discussion happened because he thought it was the family's own fault. They had accepted low-paying jobs. They should have known better.

One of the more interesting side notes is that he was saying that with the father having gotten welding certification there were fly-in jobs he could take where he could probably still come home on the weekends and there was no excuse. However, another friend, who is familiar with some similar programs pointed out that some of the family stress and safety concerns with that, as well as that for a family already in financial distress, relocating to try and get a job he had just finished his training on, therefore being completely inexperienced, had some potential difficulties.

(Quimby does not need a no-deleting policy.)

On the original article you do have some suggestions that it was a waste for him to study welding. They may have a point, but it's the wrong point. I remember spending two weeks in class, and bus fare, and then a lot of time going in studying and testing, to ultimately only get paid for a few hours of work doing tax preparation. I also remember getting a one-day job that required clothes I didn't own, so I think I spent $30 to make $60, and I missed a friend's mother's funeral for that. Sometimes you may be too desperate to do the best job of evaluating an opportunity.

I think one really important point out of this is that there are not a lot of great opportunities. If it takes capital that you don't have, for relocating or start-up costs, it is not a great opportunity for you. A lot of these chances to better yourself involve risks that someone living that close to the line can't take. If you've got a buffer, great. If you've built up this buffer because of your amazing hard work and frugality, good for you. Not everyone gets the same chances.

Actually, I have heard the line about choosing to take a low-paying job recently.


If they choose to take a low-paying job; try finding a high-paying job! There is no motivation for companies to pay decent wages when they can legally get away with paying the minimum, messing around with hours so that the employees are not considered full-time, and other labor abuses.

It used to be that people had this image of lazy people lying around collecting paychecks and living in the lap of luxury. That was based on a myth. There was a welfare queen, but she had her hands in all kinds of pots, and she worked really hard for it. Still, welfare reform happened, and the qualifications became more stringent. More people had to work.

The family in my original article is working, and they are not easy or pleasant jobs, and it is still not enough. Well, they chose a bad job. He's trying to learn how to do more. Well, he picked a bad field.

One of the more fascinating things about that thread is that everyone who commented was someone whom I knew through church. There should be some compassion there, but for some people all they can see is blame.

I wonder sometimes if it feels like a kind of talisman - if I can identify a way in which all of your problems are your own fault, then clearly it is not something that could ever happen to me. I worry about the reaction when the magical thinking runs out.

We have a world that breaks people. It is not only via the economy, but that one hits hard. Over and over again, you have people working against their own self-interests, and the interests of society, and the interests of human decency, and apparently the way they can do it is feeling comfortable looking down on someone else.

That's where I have the hardest time. It infuriates me, and that's not great for my own compassion. But that's why I don't delete him, or others like him. They have good points with their flaws. They're still human, and I can't stop seeing that. (But I may still blog mean things about them, and I did finally tell that one how condescending he was after he offered to let me shadow his job so I could see how I was wrong.)

Anyway, it may be some of the frustration over this, and things like it, that leads to me bringing back the celebrity hate extravaganza Monday, but then I will write two very sweet and touching things, and this is how I get by.

No comments: