Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Reasons to be optimistic about music videos


As I've been remembering and looking up music videos, I found something that I loved.

One of the songs on No Country for Old Musicians is "37", about monsters coming to take James away for their own band. I already had in mind an idea of how the video should look, which would be James surrounded by Muppet-type monsters swaying back and forth on the chorus. I don't know what they ended up doing, but it appears that a video was filmed, and as a way of celebrating that Alternative Press filmed this:


Okay, you would not use this as an official video, but it is delightful on its own. I feel like Billy basically getting drums has him more relaxed, so it may be an unfair advantage, but then I enjoy how intense Zach and Cory seem. It's just fun.

At this point, I don't think the official video is out yet. Reggie and the Full Effect is not great at monetization, so I could be missing it. The only video on the ReggieFullEffectVEVO is "Take Me Home Please". "Get Well Soon" is on Vagrant Records Channel, the No Country songs are primarily on the Pure Noise channel, and everything else is kind of randomly posted by fans.

There is probably a lesson in that, but the reason I bring up the toy performance at all is because  an idea that you would not think of automatically is magic. There are lots of ways to present songs, lots of ways to connect with fans, and thinking about the possibilities can be exciting and full of wonder.

I keep referencing the unofficial videos because that brings home the point. Yes, there is a lot of good filmed material and a lot of good recorded music out there. There are also a lot of people who are passionate about this material. Even more than that, the technology just keeps getting better.

You can get good video and audio quality for a much less significant cash investment, and editing is easier than it ever was. You still want someone with a good eye and some know-how operating the camera, and you still need a strong vision of what you want before you start, but there are many things you can do, and it is not dependent upon budget. Money is no guarantee of quality, and lack of money is less of an obstacle than it used to be.

One innovation we touched on with the All-American Rejects "Walk Over Me" was animation on top of film (do some practice cels before you commit to that) but there is another option that I think is also worth looking at:


Dark Horse comics has done some animations based on comic books. Smooth high-quality animation can be quite expensive, but taking a few pages and slightly altering them, filming around them, adding some motion, this can work too. And I have an idea for a video I would like to do for "Disenchanted" whenever I move past writing and drawing to filming.

Believe in your band's options. Right now the video I would like to see most is Farewell My Love's "My Perfect Thing" with footage of the band performing and being on the road, thus becoming a love song from the band about being in the band. This is very doable; they tour a lot! Yes, you probably need to get releases from fans if you include footage of posing with fans, but who wouldn't sign that?

If you have a song about political strife, news footage can work, and is often public domain. If you need animation or a cinematographer, well, bands are full of artistic people, and it is not uncommon for some musical people to have some visual aesthetic sense as well. Believe in the possibilities.

So, yes, I am very optimistic about the ability to do great things when marrying music and video, and hold on to that, because next week will be about the trite and horrible.

No comments: