Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Another MOOC bites the dust

I am mostly done with the nutrition MOOC. I have listened to and read all of the material and completed the section exams. I just have to do the essay, which I will have to do after I get back, currently being on the road.

(If you notice some irregularity in quality or posting from the road, don't be too surprised.)

I am taking the class for knowledge, not credit, so nothing terrible would happen if I didn't do the essay, but if you really want to know that you have learned, it is helpful to do everything, and an essay is especially helpful for putting thoughts in order.

One of the last discussion threads the class had - and what I believe my essay will focus on - is about personal responsibility versus the state regarding the growing obesity crisis.

Most people leaned toward personal responsibility, at least initially, and I would have too except for one thing. It's not that I personally am fat, because I have always blamed myself for that.

Some of the reading I have been doing lately, often via Shakesville.com, has made me think more. There are many stories of doctors ignoring patient complaints or blaming them on weight when there were other issues that needed treatment. There is more of a push now from the pharmaceutical industry to treat obesity before other issues. They ignore the signs of good health, like activity levels, cardiovascular fitness, and good blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Without saying that fat equals good health, I have become somewhat cautious on the topic of an obesity crisis - the indicators and priorities may be a little off.

The other thing that came up recently was talking to a friend who has been unemployed for a while now. She has always been slender, but has gained twenty-five pounds during this. One of the really cheap foods she has been able to buy has been bulk peanuts, which she has been relying on for protein. They are a cheap source of protein, but without starch or fiber they are not very filling, and they are still high in calories and fat.

It's not necessarily the only factor and I'm sure the constant stress doesn't help, but it reminded me that when we talk about personal responsibility we assume that people have real options for healthy eating and physical activity, without thinking about how much that is tied to economic status.

Poorer neighborhoods are less likely to have sidewalks and lighting for walking. They will often have less options for fresh and affordable produce. They probably have a lot of access to highly processed foods. Lots of poor people survive on ramen noodles and boxed macaroni and cheese because they are so cheap. Hipsters will pay good money for ramen, and with vegetables and an egg thrown in, it probably is healthier. When the key selling point is that you get five for a dollar, maybe the vegetables cost too much.

We've all heard jokes about poor obese people: well it looks like she can afford to eat. Maybe, but it doesn't mean that they aren't hungry or malnourished, and it certainly doesn't mean that they are lazy. A job can still be exhausting without being active. Then there may be children who need time and attention, and more often now, aging parents, and it can be really hard to find time for exercise.

Maybe they could be making better choices - I could - but I keep becoming more aware of how many obstacles get placed in the way. Some are based on city planning, or corporate influence, or the state of the economy, so there are things working together that are not easily fixed. That happens, and they are most likely to receive recrimination and jokes. Looks like he could afford to miss a few meals. Well, there's a good chance he has. That will help the body be really aggressive about storing fat.

Those are just some thoughts. A little more on that tomorrow.

No comments: