Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Reading for the brain


I have written before about my mother's dementia diagnosis.

Just to help keep things straight, Alzheimer's is a form of dementia, but not the only kind. Mom does not currently have Alzheimer's, but she does have it in her family. Dementia can refer to memory loss, but there are different types of memory and there are cognitive processes that are not specifically related to memory loss that can still be impaired. (The MCI book that I am going to list later does the best job of going over those.)

My normal way of trying to come to grips with things is reading and research, and then when I know as much as possible about something I can handle it.

I'm afraid my reading has not gone exactly as I hoped, but I have read various books on the topic, and it makes sense to collect some of the knowledge here.

The Brain Fog Fix: Reclaim Your Focus, Memory, and Joy in Just 3 Weeks by Mike Dow

We saw the author on television while we were waiting for the airport shuttle on our last day of vacation, and decided it was worth checking out. Although Dow indicates that the remedies recommended here can help stave off dementia, the target audience is not diagnosed patients but people who are at normal functioning levels but having moments of poor focus and occasional memory lapses from stress. This book is about getting your mind and body to work better through nutrition, exercise, and meditation. Some of the science may be a little soft, but none of the recommendations are harmful, and for a lot of people probably would help.

There are two main things I have tried to incorporate. One is increasing Mom's fish intake. She loves fish, and we all think it's gross, but of the different types of Omega-3's, fish is an effective way to get what she needs. We have done better but still have room to improve.

In addition, because it is harder for Mom to focus and be present, I could see where meditation would be helpful for her. We haven't really gotten that going yet, but I still intend to.

Meditation: A Practical Study with Exercises by Adelaide Gardner

This book was short and had "practical" in the title, which seemed like a good sign, but it wasn't. The author is not tied to any one tradition, but she mishmashes the different traditions together with no helpful analysis.

I think in this case the answer will be simple exercises found on the internet rather than another book.

The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life by Nancy L. Mace and Peter V. Rabins

Living with Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Guide to Maximizing Brain Health and Reducing Risk of Dementia by Nicole D. Anderson, Kelly J. Murphy, and Angela K. Troyer

I need to treat these two together, though there are differences.

Since my mother was diagnosed she has been going back for a yearly check-up for monitoring, and this was the first time in three years that she has lost some ground. The doctor said we could try Aricept, but I had heard bad things and started doing more online research. A Canadian site led me to the MCI book, and then when I did a library search for that I found the 36-Hour book.

Both have a lot of information. The 36-Hour Day is geared more toward family members who are providing care. It is helpful, broken down into clear sections and covering all the topics you would expect and some you wouldn't. Living with focuses more on Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) and is geared for the recently diagnosed or those who are worried they might have something. It should be helpful for spouses too, but assumes that the patient can take an active role.

Both books have a lot of things going for them, but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I was finding them very depressing. I could see where Mom was worse; was it because the doctor said it or because reading about the symptoms made me more aware? Was the reading even helpful if I was getting so down?

I think ultimately it is helpful. There can be good reasons to buy books instead of going with libraries and due dates, allowing you to pace yourself. It can get overwhelming where you really need to take a break. There are still things I should know.

There are also questions of whether some of the things I think I should do matter, or if they would have been helpful five years ago but I waited too long. Honestly, there are still a lot of unknowns.

As it happens, the last time I went to the my endocrinologist I was reading the MCI book and I was feeling pretty down, but then in the waiting room there was a Time magazine about the Alzheimer's pill, and doctors are making progress. If my efforts can't help, someone else's might. There's some stress though.

There is also a lot of variation in what symptoms you can see, and what resources you will have, and you just have to take it as it comes, with kindness and practicality and hope if you can manage it. We could be a lot worse off, and if thinking about what could happen gets me down, then I need to bring myself back to now.

Anyway, I haven't really changed my mind about reading as a strategy, but it doesn't always work as intended. To end on a lighter note, here's the outlier:

The Psychopath Inside: A Neuroscientist's Personal Journey into the Dark Side of the Brain by James Fallon

Although this is about a very different aspect of the brain, having been focusing on brain function anyway made this resonate more. The story is interesting. There are two weaknesses, one of which is that your narrator is a narcissist and perhaps that lack of empathy is what did not cause him to break down some of the technical information into a more accessible form.

I read an article on Fallon discovering he had the brain of a psychopath and exploring that, so meant to read it, but hadn't gotten to it until Julie was looking for something to read and I suggested it.

Here's the fun part. My sisters had seen a horror film exhibit at EMP, and asked me about Eli Roth, who makes some twisted movies. My only knowledge of Roth was randomly stumbling upon an episode of "TMZ" where Roth and Harvey Levin were competing at Jew or Non-Jew, and they both seemed very affable (and both with a decent but not perfect knowledge of who in show business shares their ethnic background).

Roth had Fallon scan his brain to look at it for an episode of "Curiosity":


And it all makes sense. Roth is twisted, but also a mensch.

Science for the win!

No comments: