Friday, May 05, 2017

Band Review: Lampano Alley


There were four bands total that I wanted to cover from the Touré article in Smithsonian. There were enough songs available via online sources that I didn't have any trouble with Terrie Odabi or Redd Velvet. It was harder to find content for Darrell Christopher and the Ingredients and Lampano Alley. I wasn't sure that I could.

As it is, Lampano Alley - while apparently not having their own Youtube channel - can be seen in  a lot of videos. The sound quality is not always ideal, but I am going for it. That not only means that I can review one band, but it may open some doors for other bands.

Lampano Alley is a blues band from the Philippines - "Asia's blues band", they say, and they may be right. There are a couple of things that come through clearly in favor of that title.

One is that they do bring the blues. It is there in the harmonica and bass and the clash of the cymbals and the growl of singer Binky Lampano's voice. They are not from Beale Street, but they fit right in when there.

Another justification for the title is that in addition to bringing the blues they seem dedicated to bringing other people along. If there are other musicians at the show, or someone wanting to learn, just based on the videos I have seen they are very encouraging and helpful with that. Some bands become known for the other bands they inspire, and that could be the case here. There is already at least one other band that I want to check out in the future, Chillitees, after finding music they have done with Lampano.

I focused mainly on complete shows, but some fans have put up individual songs as well. One of my favorites so far has been "Ganyan Lang", a slow and soulful lament. There is a good funk on "I've Got the Blues to Keep Me Warm".

Years of experience and planning have gone into this band, and there are good results.


No comments: