Thursday, June 28, 2018

Concert Review: The Casket Lottery



I had not previously been aware of The Casket Lottery, until this tour. I started listening to them this week in preparation for the show, but I'm sure I'm still missing a lot.

I did find it cool to have two bands with Kansas City roots touring together, and they got a strong crowd response. They may not have been the headliner, but they clearly have a strong fan base in Portland.

While looking into The Casket Lottery I found this description on their Facebook page:

"bummin' you out since '98"

That earned a laugh, and a thought of how emo it is, but while it would be easy to hear the music and be bummed, it would still be an exaggeration. It's not just that the band has fun between songs, but there is a lot of range in their overall body of work.

Possiblies and Maybes, from 1999, takes interesting curves, perhaps justifying it's title. "Myth", from their 2012 split with Touché Amoré, is beautiful and intricate and clear proof that there is more to The Casket Lottery.

So I wasn't that bummed out.

The Casket Lottery has one date left with The Get Up Kids (this review is from their Portland performance last night at the Doug Fir Lounge) in Salt Lake City tomorrow night, and then a 20th Anniversary party in Kansas City July 7th.

Constant bummer or not, it's still an anniversary.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Casket-Lottery-193550150664833/

https://twitter.com/casketlottery98?lang=en

(Pictures are worse than usual, even for me. I am trying to stave off collapse by exhaustion, so I stayed on a bench on the sidelines for the entire show. Remember, I wrote about being old for this four years ago: http://sporkful.blogspot.com/2014/02/your-aging-concert-correspondent.html)

No comments: