Monday, July 06, 2020

Christmas (service style) in July

It was an experience running two fundraisers at once. I think I could have done better, but I think that about everything I do.

The decision to run two simultaneously was because both causes were important and I did not want to chooser. In addition, I thought of other charities that were important to me, and also that there are things to give besides money that are sometimes much easier. That is when I had the idea for the next phase.

Since Christmas in July is a thing for television channels and ornament stores and... okay, it is usually pretty commercial. It can still be fun, and we have twenty days until July 25th. For that time period, the daily songs will be Christmas songs, and with each song I will highlight a service opportunity.

I think I am going to try and focus on songs that have been part of other fundraisers, and that have tried to inspire. Of course, that largely makes me think of "Do They Know It's Christmas?", a song I loved but that was kind of condescending and then the money didn't really benefit anyone but a ruthless warlord, partly due to infrastructure issues but not resolved largely due to Bob Geldof's arrogance.

https://www.spin.com/featured/live-aid-the-terrible-truth-ethiopia-bob-geldof-feature/

We can learn and try and be better, and it requires listening and humility.

I hope that this will do some good. I realize it may not, and that I may not know one way or another.

In the meantime, here are the songs listed out for the two completed fundraisers. I did use "Green Onions" twice. It is a blues classic, it is food-related, and it is the song I most associate with Blues Fest. "Green Onions" and seeing Terry Currier: I miss that, but at least I did get to use "Green Onions" twice, and I talked to Terry when I ordered my Ramones puzzle.

(And then Maria interrupted because she wanted the vinyl of The Psychedelic Furs, Midnight to Midnight, but she called it "Heartbreak Beat", which is the first track, so he thought she meant the 7-inch single,and we had this three-way conversation that probably made our household look incompetent, and musically ignorant. This is the second time Maria has embarrassed me at Music Millennium, but the other time it was with The Fixx.

http://sporkful.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-fixx-live-at-music-millennium.html )

Oh yeah, songs.

Oregon Food Bank Fundraiser, featuring songs about food and hunger:

6/12 “Hungry Like the Wolf” by Duran Duran
6/13 “Eat It” by “Weird Al” Yankovic
6/14 “Hungry Eyes” by Eric Carmen
6/15 “F.O.O.D. AKA Aren't You Hungary” by Reggie and the Full Effect
6/16 “Hungry Heart” by Bruce Springsteen
6/17 “Peaches” by The Presidents of the United States of America
6/18 “Hunger Strike” by Temple of the Dog
6/19 “Friday Fish Fry” by Kelis
6/20 “Cherry Pie” by Warrant
6/21 “Hungry For Heaven” by Dio
6/22 “The Hungry Ghost” by The Cure
6/23 “Hunger” by Florence + The Machine
6/24 “Love Hungry Man” by AC/DC
6/25 “Hunger” by Ross Copperman
6/26 “Hungry, So Angry” by Medium Medium
6/27 “Hunger” by Of Monsters and Men
6/28 “Hungry Again” by Dolly Parton
6/29 “Hungry People” by The Happy Fits
6/30 “Hungry” by Winger
7/1 “Stay Hungry” by Twisted Sister
7/2 “Hungry” by White Lion
7/3 “Who Stole the Hot Sauce?” by Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band
7/4 “Green Onions” by Booker T. & the M.G.'s
7/5 “Them Belly Full (But We Hungry) by Bob Marley & The Wailers

(I made it more blues-y on the days that should have been for the festival.)

Don't Shoot Portland fundraiser, featuring blues songs:

6/12 “Smoking Gun” by Robert Cray
6/13 “Green Onions” by Booker T. & the M.G.'s
6/14 “Wanna Be a Bull” by Terry & the Zydeco Bad Boys
6/15 “Hold Up the Light” by Terrie Odabi
6/16 “Blues For We” by Mel Brown
6/17 “Death Came A-Knockin' (Travelin' Shoes)” by Ruthie Foster
6/18 “Put A Woman In Charge” by Keb' Mo' (feat Rosanne Cash)
6/19 “Juneteenth Jamboree” by Louis Jordan
6/20 “Dirty Love” by Dirty Revival
6/21 “Never Gonna Break My Faith” by Aretha Franklin, feat. The Boys Choir of Harlem
6/22 “Truth Don Die” by Femi Kuti
6/23 “You Are Not Alone” by Mavis Staples
6/24 “My Zydeco Shoes” by Chubby Carrier
6/25 “Healing Tide” by The War and Treaty
6/26 “I'm A Blues Man” by Robert Kimbrough Sr.
6/27 “Loan Me Your Handkerchief” by Step Rideau and The Zydeco Outlaws
6/28 “How Much Longer” by Johnny Rawls
6/29 “I Want My Dog To Live Longer” by Curtis Salgado & Alan Hager
6/30 “Change the World” by Lady A
7/1 “Married To The Blues” by Shemekia Copeland
7/2 “Mannish Boy” by Muddy Waters
7/3 “Boom Boom” by John Lee Hooker
7/4 “How Blue Can You Get” by B.B. King
7/5 “Crossroad Blues” by Robert Johnson

Related links:

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2020/06/fundraising-and-music.html

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2020/07/fund-raising.html

No comments: