Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Hope as a seed

I'm not much of a gardener. I want to be, but I don't know a lot, and often I don't have the means to put forth the effort that it would really take.

This year seemed like a good opportunity. I had some funds, and if there was ever a time that it makes sense to grow your own food, we are there now. I made plans, and then nothing went right.

The virus made browsing nurseries harder, but everyone eventually got to the point where you could look, but then the things I wanted were gone. I guess I was not the only one wanting to grow more.

You can still find seeds pretty well, but seedlings for trees and bushes disappeared quickly, with two blueberry bushes selling out while I was ordering them. It was almost impossible to find seed potatoes.

Also, I did "Call before you dig" - as you should - but the results were not what I expected. Even if I could have found the trees that I wanted, I am not sure the front yard can take trees now.

Plans were readjusted - mainly scaled back - and there was just a little ground prep required. Then it rained. And poured. And rained some more.

I'm not going to list everything that went wrong, but it was a lot.

I have done some things. Some things will probably still get done. Everything is late.

Also I think my sunflowers are germinating, but not my pumpkins. Why?

It has been a lot of frustration,  which has been true about everything else this year. Mainly I wonder if I can be enough to carry this through, which has also been true of everything else this year.

At least I am consistent.

But no matter how much goes wrong in a garden, there are at usually a few starts and things to watch for. They may end up being false hopes, but it is something.


It doesn't really take that much to keep me going.

No comments: