Thursday, July 29, 2021

Jeopardy! Guest Hosts

I wanted to take a moment to write about this anyway, but it is even better because I discovered this delightful interview with LeVar Burton on Esquire:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a37103004/levar-burton-jeopardy-host-interview-2021/

I acknowledge that I don't have the connection with Burton that people who watched Reading Rainbow have, but I like him. I love how he loves Jeopardy! and is so thoughtful about it. I could be fine with him hosting. 

Since I last wrote about this, the other person who I thought did really well was Robin Roberts. I want to give her her due.

About that last time I wrote...

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2021/04/about-jeopardy.html 

One thing I focused on was not wanting people to focus too much on who would be the new host. I believed that they were taking their time, and there was not going to be a new host until Alex's final season was completed.

Therefore, the real reason I am writing is that we seem to be there. I haven't been tracking it exactly, and some of the classic repeats may have thrown the schedule off a bit. 

Still, here we are, almost in August, which I seem to remember as the break between seasons, when they would re-air all the tournaments. It feels like it is almost time. If Burton's last week as a guest host is the official passing of the torch to him being the new host, well, that is still going to be emotional, but it will work.

The thing that I really wanted to say, though, is how touching they have made this time period.

Friends of the show and friends of Alex have come, and they have chosen different charities. I haven't been keeping track of the totals, but it is a beautiful tribute to his memory.

It wasn't just that; Burton mentioned in his interview that Mike Richards told him part of having the guest hosts was to give the audience time to get used to Alex not being there. Yes, it worked as a candidate search, but it also served as a mourning period. Because of how they did it, that mourning also allowed for caring and joy. 

I appreciate that. 

I also trust them as we find out what happens next, waiting for the clue that will tell us, "Who is the next host of Jeopardy!?"

No comments: