Tuesday, September 07, 2021

... but those hopes are faint

Yesterday I didn't know what to write, but I was feeling good will, so I wrote some hopes for you out there. 

Hopes that may not be realistic.

Well, it is totally possible that some of you had good days. 

There is a very good chance that your needs aren't being met.

For example, if you need prompt medical care, that can be a big problem right now. Maybe it's worse in Idaho and Texas, but even in Portland, there is some backlog.

There is a lot of economic anxiety (a term that people throw around recklessly, but it can still have a point). As much as we were told that money can't buy happiness -- which is true -- if the source of your unhappiness is unpaid bills for basic life expenses, money can do a great deal to alleviate that unhappiness.

Plus sometimes you just want a treat, but money may be so tight that it feels impossible, whether because it actually is impossible or just that you would feel too guilty.

And as much I hope that you like yourselves, I know there is a lot that works against it.

I want you to know that a lot of that is capitalism. Maybe not all of it, but some of it.

You have no idea how easily every thing I post could turn into an anti-capitalist screed. I refrain because I think I will be able to do a better job of that later, but the thoughts are there.

However, maybe the most important thing to stress is love. 

There are so many stories each day that make me think "I hate people", but ultimately, I don't. I keep coming back to feeling love.

I acknowledge "people" could use some improvement.

What I can do to help, I will.

No comments: