Friday, November 17, 2023

Transgender Awareness reading

It is Transgender Awareness Week. 

Apparently someone asked for suggested books in their comments and posted the responses, then was criticized for transmisogyny due to what was missing from the list. Apparently the small account didn't get diverse enough replies.

On one level, you probably have someone being ridiculous, but possibly that hypersensitivity is based on historical exclusion; that's why I am not linking to any of it. I could not find the initial list, so that poster may have meant well and then been hounded into deleting. I feel bad about that.

However, I was going to post about the books I read today, and how I got there, and now it is posting my own list and in a timely manner! 

It started with a school board candidate telling lies:

https://preparedspork.blogspot.com/2023/05/do-they-know-or-care-that-they-are-lying.html

My Princess Boy by Cheryl Kilodavis, Suzanne DeSimone

Love That Story: Observations From A Gorgeously Queer Life by Jonathan Van Ness

I posted about those books that I had been meaning to read, but the transphobic attitudes of the authors was putting me off.

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2023/10/terf-month.html 

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2023/11/whatever-joanne.html 

Well, here were two books that could act as counterweights, but only two, and one was a children's book and the author of the other was non-binary, not technically transgender... what else?

I first thought of Laverne Cox and Janet Mock. That led me to a few books.

Laverne Cox (Little People, Big Dreams, 86) by Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara and Olivia Daisy Coles

Laverne Cox (Transgender Pioneers) by Erin Staley

Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More by Janet Mock

I saw that Elliot Page's book was out, and then wondered about Suzy Izzard, and there was a book! 

Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens by Eddie Izzard

Pageboy
by Elliot Page

There was another book, Brazen, that I didn't love, but it reminded me of Christine Jorgensen, and that she had written an autobiography. Score!

Christine Jorgensen: A Personal Autobiography by Christine Jorgensen

The other books that I read were kind of found by accident, but those are accidents that happen because you are looking up the books that you know exist, and other books related in some way or another appear. 

(With Fairest I was literally looking up something cooking related, but they had the same last name. Less probable, but it still worked.)

I Am Jazz by Jessica Herthel, Jazz Jennings, Shelagh McNicholas

Welcome to St. Hell: My Trans Teen Misadventure by Lewis Hancox

Fairest by Meredith Talusan

So there are eleven books I have read, at a variety of reading levels and I think with a decent amount of representation. I'm sure there is room for criticism, but it is a start; everyone has to start somewhere.

Also, a book I am reading now, Men as Women, Women as Men: Changing Gender in Native American Cultures, is on topic, but technically I am reading it for Native American Heritage Month.  

It is also very much an anthropology book, with the first few chapters about terminology and research methods, so it's not going to be to everyone's taste. I enjoy the memoirs more, but other types of books round things out.

Allow me also to mention some other books.

Alternate Channels: The Uncensored Story of Gay and Lesbian Images on Radio and Television, 1930s to the Present by Steven Capsuto

I made sure to finish reading this one before I wrote about Barney Miller, because I learned about it through a video on one of the episodes, but it does not look like I really wrote about it then. 

It was an interesting read, though mainly about cisgender gay issues. It did mention though, as we got to television stories about AIDS, about how the dramas portrayed the choice as between family acceptance or dying alone, ignoring the community support that existed. That made me want to read another book:

And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic

Again, that is primarily cisgender-related, though there are some transgender people who pop up.

Non-fiction books tend to open up new doors anyway. In addition, I saw that both Jonathan Van Ness and Janet Mock had other books. In the case of Van Ness, I think the other book would have fit in better, but hey, my reading started with a lying school board candidate, and that was the book that he mentioned. I don't regret reading Love That Story, but I think I need to read more.

So, at some point next year, I know I will be reading... 

Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love by Jonathan Van Ness
Surpassing Certainty: What My Twenties Taught Me by Janet Mock

as well as...

When We Rise by Cleve Jones
In the Form of a Questions: The Joys and Rewards of a Curious Life by Amy Schneider

I also know I will want to read more about Marsha P Johnson and Sylvia Rivera. I don't know what those books will be yet, but I am confident I will find something, because sometimes it doesn't even take that much effort to have more books come.

I will write more about these books, but for now, if you want to do more reading, I hope these options help.

Related posts:

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2022/12/read-loveless-and-gender-queer.html


No comments: