Friday, October 09, 2026

Late Pride Month continues: August quotes

I can totally see how this might not seem like a continuation, since the only post previous was almost a month ago:

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2026/09/late-pride-month-augusts-daily-songs.html 

There has just been a lot going on.

As it is, I have mostly read the books that I intended to this time around. I just requested one that I had not previously known about. Matt Herron, the photographer from yesterday's post... I was trying to find more information on him. It turns out he was the photographer for a book on the AIDS quilt, which inspired a documentary I already watched, that was connected to another book... anyway, this is a good time to go over quotes.

I have a lot of affection for many of the people here. Audre Lorde, who has the first and last quotes, is such a good writer, with so much courage... it was easy to quote her twice.

However, the quote that speaks most to my heart is from August 6th, but Nathan Lane:

"I have to accept the fact that, no matter what I do, it's going to annoy someone." 

Being annoying has been a deep fear of mine for a long time.

There are reasons for that and I have come a long way, but there is still an underlying concern. Now when I worry about it, it is mostly because there is something that people won't want to hear that still needs to be said.

I found this quote because I am trying so hard this year to lift up marginalized voices. Now, the people I quote generally have some fame, perhaps making them seem less marginalized, but no amount of celebrity erases homophobia or racism or sexism, even if it does provide some shielding.

And I am very privileged in some ways, being white, straight, and cis, even if my gender, economic class, and body size hit on other prejudices.

Remembering others -- especially in the realm of diversity, equity, and inclusion -- may indeed be annoying to others.

I can accept that.

Thanks Nathan! 

Quotes

8/1 "When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak." -- Audre Lorde

8/2 "Change is not a threat to your life, but an invitation to live." -- Adrienne Rich

8/3 "Let us be enraged about injustice, but let us not be destroyed by it." -- Bayard Rustin

8/4 “It is certain, in any case, that ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have.” -- James Baldwin

8/5 "Anyone who ever gave you confidence, you owe them a lot." -- Truman Capote

8/6 "I have to accept the fact that, no matter what I do, it's going to annoy someone." -- Nathan Lane

8/7 "I tire so of hearing people say, Let things take their course. Tomorrow is another day. I do not need my freedom when I'm dead. I cannot live on tomorrow's bread." -- Langston Hughes

8/8 "Be yourself; everyone else is taken." -- Oscar Wilde

8/9 "Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you." -- Walt Whitman

8/10 "Whatever one loves most is beautiful." -- Sappho

8/11 "The Moral Majority supports legislators who oppose abortions but also oppose child nutrition and day care. From their perspective, life begins at conception and ends at birth." -- Barney Frank

8/12 "All the miles of a hard road are worth a moment of true happiness." -- Arnold Lobel

8/13 "Inside all of us is... hope. Inside all of us is... fear. Inside all of us is... adventure. Inside all of us is a wild thing." -- Maurice Sendak

8/14 "Life is so much bigger, grander, higher, and wider than we allow ourselves to think." -- Queen Latifah

8/15 "You will know you're old when you cease to be amazed." -- Noel Coward

8/16 "The only thing worse than human ignorance is human pride in that ignorance." -- George Takei

8/17 "It is my intention to live an authentic life of compassion and integrity and action." -- Zachary Quinto

8/18 "Be honest about what you see, get out of the way and let the story reveal itself." -- Anderson Cooper

8/19 "I really believe in trying to increase the amount of useful information in the world and in being accurate in the sense that you can take what I say to the bank, even if you disagree with me." -- Rachel Maddow

8/20 "You have no control over other people's taste, so focus on staying true to your own." -- Tim Gunn

8/21 "You can't please everybody. There's that old saying that there's no sure formula for success, but the only sure fire formula for failure is to try to please everyone. You're not going to do that." -- Matt Bomer

8/22 "I believe that acting in any medium is the same thing, it's discovering the truth in where you are." -- Victor Garber

8/23 "We don't deliberately set out to offend. Unless we feel it's justified." -- Graham Chapman

8/24 "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." -- Gertrude Stein

8/25 "But man is a part of nature, and his war against nature is inevitably a war against himself." -- Rachel Carson

8/26 "There is nothing that is comparable to it, as satisfactory or as thrilling, as gathering the vegetables one has grown." -- Alice B. Toklas

8/27 "Black women have had to develop a larger vision of our society than perhaps any other group. They have had to understand white men, white women, and black men. And they have had to understand themselves. When black women win victories, it is a boost for virtually every segment of society." -- Angela Davis

8/28 "We are your daughters, your sisters, your sons, your nurses, your mechanics, your athletes, your police, your politicians, your fathers, your doctors, your soldiers, your mothers. We live with you, care for you, help you, protect you, teach you, love you, and need you. All we ask is that you let us. We are no different. We want to serve, like you. Need love, like you. Feel pain, like you. And we deserve justice, like you." -- Margarethe Cammermeyer

8/29 "Maybe if people started to listen, history would stop repeating itself." -- Lily Tomlin

8/30 "I love the fact that I can make people happy, in any form. Even if it’s just an hour of their lives, if I can make them feel lucky or make them feel good, or bring a smile to a sour face, that to me is worthwhile." -- Freddie Mercury

8/31 "Tomorrow belongs to those of us who conceive of it as belonging to everyone; who lend the best of ourselves to it, and with joy." -- Audre Lorde

 

No comments: