Thursday, April 25, 2013

Band Review: The Breakdown


I was dreading writing this one, because initially the problem was that I want to like them, and I couldn’t point to anything specifically wrong with them, so it felt like I was going into a faint praise situation, and I’d at least like to be passionate. I think I have more of a finger on it now, though. That’s why I always try and go through every song at least three times.
My initial impression of The Breakdown is that they just weren’t deep enough. I believe they followed me on Twitter at a time when I was reading a lot about 360 deals and label interference, and so that may have prejudiced me, but what I remember feeling was that they started working with people too soon. I can’t even confirm that they are working with someone. They recently did a Kickstarter to get back into the studio, though that could just mean that they no longer have backing.
They do have several videos on Youtube, both music and of them doing other activities, and I may have picked up that idea from the behind the scenes video for “Count to Ten”, that there was some funding and some direction. That’s not necessarily bad, but it is a remarkably generic video. It’s shot well enough, but with no imagination; there is an actress, but she doesn’t do much; and so the main innovation is different color filters. Maybe the song is not terribly imaginative, but I have to believe that if you think it’s worth doing a video you can find something.
And maybe the problem is that the songs are too generic, but there are roots with meaning in there. The songs I recommend most are “How Can You Say You Loved Me”, which has a different tempo and stripped down feel, and “A Way to Say Goodbye”, which has some real sentiment and sincerity. Those songs are starting to differentiate. There is something they can grow from there.
Anyway, that was just the impression that I get, which immediately made me listen to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. That’s the difference see.
In many ways it reminds me of Sunderland: you’re kids, which is fine. Now go live in a cramped van for two months and play little holes, or play parties while holding down mind-numbing jobs, or go build houses in Mexico or work with troubled teens. Earn the videos!
Anyway, I was left with these old impressions and not much to say, and today it hit me with two of the songs: “Friend Zone” and “Paranoid Bipolar Schizophrenic”. It probably helped that they played together.
“Friend Zone” was kind of a dumb term to start with, now really overused, that suffers from association with the triope of girls ignoring nice guys in favor of bad boys, when generally the ones who complain about that are not quite as nice as they think they are. So, if you are in the friend zone, there may be some valid reasons, even if it is merely a lack of commitment in your affection. You could probably still write a funny song about it.
Mental illness, on the other hand, is heartbreaking and can be really crippling. A lot of teens have one or more of those issues, and there are teens who are really worried that it is coming on, and it’s a serious thing.
I guess my problem is that the two songs sounded too much alike. Bands vary in seriousness all the time. That’s not a problem. Many bands have a distinctive sound, where you can always tell that it’s them, and sometimes that’s a bad thing and sometimes it’s fine. I still feel that in this case, songs on these two subjects should not sound this indistinguishable. They try to make the words fit, but ultimately they are still generic, which has me not caring about the one and offended by the other.
They are cute kids, and from a performance point of view they are fine, but I think they need deeper roots if they are really going to reach their potential.
http://thebreakdown.bigcartel.com/

No comments: