Friday, April 05, 2013

Band Review: Reggie and the Full Effect


Something embarrassing happened with my review of Reggie and the Full Effect: I got obsessed with “Take Me Home Please”. Getting obsessed with the song in itself wasn’t a problem – I do that all the time – but it got combined with that crushing on the singer thing, which I have not done for a while, and I was just fine with that. Very impractical, but the review must go on.

Reggie and the Full Effect is the solo project of James Dewees, also of Coalesce, The Get Up Kids, Leathermouth and Deathspells, as well as working with New Found Glory and My Chemical Romance. Sure, you’re thinking I’m impressed with him because that puts him in three bands with Frank Iero. Well, yes, but what really gets me is that he is mentioned Circa Survive twice, and every time I am like “Wow! He is so cool!”

Actually, I think I started following James Dewees when I wrote Math Rocks:


I didn’t end up using his stats in that one, because Jarrod Alexander did not have a verified account for comparison, but I had looked him up so I can confim that in December he had 5307 followers and he is now at 7817. This increase is good, because he is really doing a lot of stuff. Besides the formation of Deathspells and continuation of Leathermouth, he is reviving Reggie and the Full Effect and has a Kickstarter for that purpose, so that’s where we are going to focus today.


For a Kickstarter project in general, this is a great one to back. He updates frequently with new songs and videos, and is very likable. I have pledged what I felt comfortable doing, but I hope this review sends a few more backers his way. After all, just one dollar gets you a message from Robo-Fonzie. I don’t know know a single other project where that’s true.

In addition, the music is amazing. I feel like I’m on shakier ground with this review, because he has such a large body of work that I have not been through it all three times. I have listened to everything I could find at least once, with some repeats, and “Take Me Home Please” over and over, but I can still give general impressions.

My first impression was, ‘Wow, anything can happen’. The music shifts easily from synth pop to metal to more clubby (which is not the same as synth pop) and things that are more core, and regardless of the often humorous nature of the content, musically they are completely legitimate. No wonder the mastermind can work with so many different types of bands – he is skilled and fluidly versatile.

I want to honor that talent and not get precious here. As I start throwing out song titles here it could be easy to think that there is some sarcasm going on, but there will not be. Let’s look at “Ode to Manheim Steamroller”. That does not sound like it’s going to be very serious, and perhaps in some ways it is not, but it gets a funky drumtrack and throws in some synthesizer and vocals that kind of references the lovesick teenager in the early 60’s, but is also very listenable, and more interesting to me than work actually produced by the Mannheim Steamroller.

(Actually, there are frequent spots where there seems to be some influences from the 50’s and 60’s, maybe some in the vein of the B-52s, and maybe some San Francisco beatniks. Again, he has some range.)

And then, if the reason you were listening to “Ode” is because you were listening to Promotional Copy, the next track would be “Dwarf Invasion”, which features Common Denominator, which is a Finnish Dark Metal band, featuring Klaus, except that they are really still James Dewees. (He has another alter ego, Fluxuation, which is British electropop.)

Actually, a look at the Kickstarter page will show you Dewees with his face inserted into various movie posters, continuing with the theme of him being comfortable in a variety of roles, and with a variety of hair styles. Perhaps some of it is camouflage, and some day he will go totally serious and produce an amazing symphony, but for right now what he has is fun, and has merit. And whimsy. There is some definite whimsy.

So let’s do some call outs. “Mood 4 Luv” has absolutely gorgeous keyboards. I can’t emphasize that enough. He comes up with really pretty sounds and melodies. There’s a British accent, but it is not listed as Fluxuation. It’s odd that this particular track is not on Greatest Hits ’84-‘87/ The Lord of the Bling, because it totally sounds like it could have come from 1985 when A-ha and other bands brought that beautiful synth pop to the fore of the industry. At least, it would be odd, except the songs on that album aren’t really from 1984-1987 either.

(Actually, album titles often have special meanings. I strongly recommend reading the linked Wikipedia artcle.)

“F.O.O.D AKA Aren’t You Hungary” (from Under the Tray) starts with an irrestible beat, and soul singing, then goes into blistering guitar, and then back to the start. It’s an odd way to go, but try not bopping your head along with it. I’m not sure it can be done. Then suddenly you are into the driving, powerful “Happy V-Day”, which would be a completely respectable song for any traditional rock band.

I like “From Me 2 U” a lot, and both Megan songs. I am tempted to say that Promotional Copy is my favorite album, and that might be true, only I really like Songs Not To Get Married To, and of course, “Take Me Home Please” is there. Perhaps, in its own way, “Whipped Cream All Over Your Body” is more romantic. However, “Take Me Home Please” after repeated listenings, still just stops me and fills me with longing, and puts me hopelessly in love with the singer, even though I thought I stopped doing that two decades ago. That’s power.

Anyway, the impression that I get over and over again is that James Dewees can do anything he wants to do. He can play with any band. He could write songs for other bands. I have no doubts about his talents or abilities. What he wants to do is put out a new Reggie album and tour, so show the man some love and go back him! He has about two weeks to raise another $5000.



http://ratfe.net/

8/4/16 ETA: This still gets periodic hits, which is great, but it also bothers me because I really hate the whimsy line now. I don't think it conveys what I was trying to, deleting it would take nothing from the review, but it also feels dishonest. Sigh.

No comments: