Friday, January 24, 2014

Band Review: The Delinquents


I'm glad it ended up being The Delinquents this week.

Part of that is that I enjoyed listening to them. I value covering a variety of bands, but there are sometimes downsides, and then sometimes it is really rewarding. My mother liked them too; she responded to them similarly to how she responds to the Black Keys.

So, there was just enjoying the band, but also the timing was good because I had just been listening to the Buzzcocks, and I detect some of the same musical tradition there. While they are not from Manchester proper (they are from Lancashire) they have played there, and they fit in well with the other bands I have enjoyed from there.

There are some retro notes in their songs, but in the sense that they honor history, not that they feel dated. I think they are a breath of fresh air.

One thing I should mention is that listening on Soundcloud it seemed to jump around, where I was not sure if I was getting all the songs, and then I ended up getting some multiple times, so be aware of that.

I would say don't miss "Supersonic Girl", and that will probably end up being a song of the day fairly soon, but the intros to "Back At Me" and "Let Me Go" have me thinking, "Yeah, that's the stuff." It's worth spending some time with them.



No comments: