Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Creating a set list - Gin Blossoms


As we covered last Monday, I get fixated on ideas, and then I have to do something with them. I can come off as weird and geeky and obsessive, but then there are often rewards, so I'm just going with it.

Wednesday, Jesse Valenzuela of the Gin Blossoms tweeted "New shows coming up! New set list? Send us some ideas"

I know a normal response to this would be to suggest one song, or a few that I like, but I started thinking specifically about a list. What songs would you put together? You want to start on a high note, and usually end that way, and then as you do slower or lower key songs, bring things back up. Then generally you run a similar trajectory with the encore.

You need to strike a balance there, but then there is the issue of balancing the old material with new material. People expect to hear the hits, but if you are promoting a new album, you need to do current music too. Maybe you want to challenge the audience a little; bring up something obscure or different, and let them arrive at it with you. Sometimes you can throw in something unexpected, like maybe the theme song from "The Jeffersons", and that element of surprise spices things up.

Different bands do it differently. Johnny Ramone knew their sets down to the minute, and knew when they were starting to play faster and get through it faster. Third Eye Blind seems to improvise more on stage, though I don't think they are flying completely blind. I'm not sure how the Gin Blossoms do it, but I started thinking about it.

My first thought was "29", because that was the one song I remember wanting that they did not play at the show. After getting used in a movie (The To Do List), that has better odds of getting included now.

I also thought I saw someone say "Cheating" to which I mentally screamed "No!" That's the one song I strongly object to. I don't care whom she reminds you of, yes, it is totally cheating and there is nothing else to call it! I know it's just a song! (Infidelity is kind of a hot button issue for me.)

The other reason "Cheating" stands out is because it is very country. Normally I would say that is not a recommendation, but I recently sang "Till I Hear It From You" at karaoke, and it came out kind of twangy. That never happens when I sing it at home. I do get the value of having some variety in the mix, but there are other songs that are a change of pace as well, like "Cajun Song" or "Memphis Time".

There are other factors that I can't really use. For example, if multiple songs use the same instrument tunings, it would make sense to cluster them together, and I have absolutely no idea which ones those would be. Still, I wanted to work on one entire set list, and I decided it needed to be done. So, I listened to a lot of Gin Blossoms, trying to figure out what would make a good set.

I did listen to Dusted again. I have thought of it more as a novelty, and I think that is an oversimplification, but at the same time, I'm not pulling anything from there that is not on something else. Also, while I would be totally down with "Quitter" showing up, I don't know if there would be anything weird about doing a Gas Giants song, so I did not put that in the mix.

Also, I did not put in a song by another band. I have heard them cover the Replacements, and I know they have a version of Folsom Prison Blues. I was thinking about something new, that they haven't done. It would feel presumptuous to include it in the set list, but different thoughts that I had that could work include "All Star", "Smells Like Teen Spirit", or "When I Come Around."

It's hard work, and there are tough cuts to be made. There are songs that I love, but there were too many already. (I went for a 13 song set followed by a 4 song encore, based on Just South of Nowhere - Live In Chicago having 17 tracks.)

As I was listening to Major Lodge Victory, miles away Mary, another fan that I met through tweets with the band members, was listening to "The End of the World" as it was just coming up for me. So that had to be on the list, because we fans connect with the music, and the band, and each other, and it's a beautiful thing.

My experience is that bands end on really upbeat songs so everyone is pumped, and that didn't feel right here, because I was thinking that we would not want them to go, even though it's inevitable, so I ended on a song about leaving and then a song about looking back.

Ultimately, my list doesn't matter, The most important thing will be that they are there, and bringing themselves and laying it down on the stage; that's what makes the show good. The planning is important, but the magic is in the moment.

I nonetheless did make a list. It boils down to me spending some time listening to good music and thinking about this band I love, and that's not bad.

I'm Ready
Miss Disarray
Follow You Down
Lost Horizons
The End of the World
Learning the Hard Way
Till I Hear It From You
Perfectly Still
Seeing Stars
Don't Change For Me
Found Out About You
Hey Jealousy
Going to California

Allison Road
Keli Richards
Until I Fall Away
29

Related posts:

http://sporkful.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-gin-blossoms-and-i.html

Edited 2/28/2014
I just wanted to add this note, which relates, from Jack Barakat of All Time Low: 

I don’t get serious on twitter very often, but I would like to please ask people to stop chanting song names while we are talking or performing on stage, especially while Alex is playing acoustic songs. I appreciate you guys love certain songs, but we rehearse our “ideal set” for weeks before a tour so that we can put on our best show possible. We have 5 albums out and it becomes difficult, and often impossible to please everyone. We have a lot of songs to chose from, and because of that we are playing our longest set ever on this tour. We are very proud of the set we have created, and there is method behind our madness. All you're doing by screaming out song names is ruining the show for people who are enjoying it :) mahalo!
 

No comments: