Thursday, September 25, 2014

Band Review: Matt Olsson


Let me clarify some scheduling first. Tomorrow night I am going to see three bands, one of which is incredibly important to me. To make the schedule work, the travel review that normally goes up on Saturday will be posted Friday (Dole Pineapple Plantation!), and Saturday I will post the concert review for frnkIero andthe cellabration.

That makes today the perfect time to review cellabration drummer and accomplished musician Matt Olsson. I will be focusing on his 2012 album Part One: The Sabotage, partly because it is his most recent work, but also because with my poor Bandcamp navigation I did not realize there was other music there until I had listened to The Sabotage six times, so it's just more familiar.

The album is described as "The fictional story of a young American Spy in Europe during the early years of the Cold War."

Based on the cover art, and the use of older instruments (fans of the Decemberists should enjoy Olsson's work) there was initially a feeling that it was something even older than Cold War, perhaps more like the Crimea. As the story continues, crossing Europe with intrigue and danger, there is a sense that it is emotionally correct.

The political does not overwhelm the personal. As much as the protagonist refers to work that others have died for, there is also a family legacy and a passionate, blinding love for his collaborator.

That sounds like it can't end well, and with the final track titled "To Avalon (The Gulags)" that doesn't sound encouraging. It is Part One, so anything can happen, but also there is still a note of defiance left, and resolution to do what needs to be done. Before that, with my favorite track "Snakes (Langley)" there is a note that while not exactly optimism still seems to have some peace, that there is an overall connectedness, and knowledge and purpose.

I love the string work on the album. There are moments where the vocals become less musical, and more spoken, like parts of "Some Truth (Paris pt. 2)", but I feel that works well to heighten the dramatic tension. To be fair, the music works for that too.

I think Woody Guthrie would like this album.




No comments: