Monday, September 08, 2014

Comic Review for MOOC Module 4: Immigration


I have finally finished all of the reading and videos for the Massive Open Online Course for Social Issues Through Comic Books. Actually, I have been done for over a week, and I had been done with the comics already, but sometimes the academic papers put me off a bit, as they are often incredibly boring. They often contain good points, and boring is certainly the comic style for the academic paper genre, but it is very sad.

Action Comics #900, written by Paul Cornell, with many artists
Superman Unchained #1, written by Scott Snyder, Pencils and Inks by Jim Lee, Dustin Nguyen, and Scott Williams

I am going to treat these together because I just don't care for Superman that much. We have here the story where Superman renounces his United States citizenship, viewing himself more as a citizen of the world, and wanting to at times take action without it reflecting on the US. At the same time, Clark Kent's Kansas upbringing did raise him, and if what the government wants are not compatible with those values, then that's something to think about.

There were really good discussions on this, and on identity, but I really found the reading tiresome. My favorite part is that when Lex Luthor has a chance to cease all human suffering if he can let his hatred for Superman go (and he can't), there is a moment when we see Death lying back and enjoying the sun on snow with the skier who just suffered a fatal accident. That made me smile, but it was short-lived. (Pun not really intentional, but I know it's there.)

Skin Horse: Book One - Mission Alaska, written by Miguel Angel Garrido and Matthew Weldon, with art by Miguel Angel Garrido

I actually ended up buying the next two books, Tigerlily Jones and Path of the Notary. I think I wanted to anyway, but I justified it as being necessary because they really didn't explore the immigration issue very much, and I thought I would get a better perspective from reading what followed. Book One did end on kind of a cliffhanger.

Instead, the next two books started off completely new, with only a small reference to previous events. The series is like that in general. Characters are described whom you do not see, events are referred to that you were never able to read about, and closure just may not happen.

Taking all of that into account, and even admitting that sometimes it might be trying too hard to be whimsical, it is still pretty funny and the artwork is absolutely adorable.

American Born Chinese, writing and art by Gene Luen Yang

This book is perfect. I don't say that lightly.

It weaves together a tale about the Monkey King with the story of a young boy along a common theme of transformation. There are parts of it that are very uncomfortable, and are so valuable and necessary. This is must-read.

There was one optional reading which I am going to write about Wednesday, but we'll go over the Module 5 reading first.

No comments: