Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Becoming me


Looking up the old posts from 2010, it occurred to me that maybe my problem with drama was that it didn't keep me busy enough. For someone who did as many things as I ended up doing, there is a certain logic to that. In addition, my previous explanation to myself had been unsatisfactory.

Back then I told myself that I was never going to be a lead because I wasn't attractive and I couldn't sing, and so there was no point in it. I have never liked that explanation because it sounds like a narcissistic hissy fit.

It was also untrue. People of various sizes and vocal ranges got some very interesting roles. I probably could have as well. I may not have been into acting enough, which is fine. I did still take one more drama class the next year, and I think it illustrates something.

We had a lot of opportunities to write our own sketches. When I helped other people with theirs, they were usually more comic. Most of the parts that I remember enjoying other people doing were comic. I always wanted to do dramatic, relationship-based things, even if they were overwrought and not very fun. I saw myself doing it, but I didn't know why I couldn't let it go.

In retrospect, I think what the loss of feeling that I could be loved as myself meant to me was that I couldn't be a star, even in my own life. If love is the main storyline - and yes, this probably was worse because I was a girl and societal expectations and all - then ineligibility for love meant permanent supporting cast. I struggled with that.

That's when I went around trying everything and looking for something new.

Okay, I was not good at guitar, but I was a valued member of the yearbook staff in ninth grade, and in the process I learned how to process and develop film. I had access to the darkroom. I also got great grades that year and cleaned up at the end of the year assembly. Teachers voted me outstanding French student, English student, Social Studies student, and then I got Most Academic too, by student vote. However, I remember that even though I wanted to get Most Academic because I could get it, when the ballots were going around I wished I could get the award for Nicest Eyes or something like that.

So even though I tried a lot more things the next year in high school, the one that really stuck was sports management, where I was supporting cast. I had rebelled against it, but without understanding what I was doing or why, perhaps it was inevitable that the place where I landed up was one where I was serving others, and not a star.

I feel like I'm being disloyal to the teams saying that. I really loved them, and the guys were nice to me for the most part, and after my father stopped speaking to me just having the coaches in my life was huge, but I probably should have been doing something for me, and for building the life that I wanted.

The problem was that I was quickly losing the ability to believe that I could have good or interesting things for me, so there was nothing to try for. I became "the friend" with guys. In some ways that was what I had been doing all along. I was prone to shame before, and people-pleasing and over-functioning, but it got cemented here, between 14 and 17.

On one level I was just putting everything off to the future. Someday I would lose weight, and then someone would love me, but I think on another level I didn't really believe it would ever happen.

No comments: